Notes All in the Family Quigleys tough decision

By Doug FergusonJuly 13, 2009, 4:00 pm
135th Open Championship TURNBERRY, Scotland ' Lloyd Saltman made his British Open debut four years ago at St. Andrews, when the Scottish amateur tied for 15th and spent the week with his entire family.
 
The whole clan is back at Turnberry, only the roles are much different.
 
Saltman, now a 23-year-old professional, qualified for the British Open. So did his 27-year-old brother, Elliot, making this the first time since 1992 (Joe and Jumbo Ozaki) that brothers have competed against each other in this major.
 
If thats not enough, younger brother Zack is caddying for Elliot, after failing to make it through the first stage of qualifying.
 
The whole family is here and girlfriends are coming up. Its great, Eliot said. Weve got a lot of coverage and pressure on us during the day, and its great to have. Were trying to support Scotland as much as we can, and at the end of the day, we just go back and chill as a family.
 
And the best of all.
 
Weve got moms cooking, Lloyd said.
 
Theyre not here just for show. Having grown up on links golf, both have designs on contending. Lloyd Saltman already has been through this drill, shooting a 68 in the third round ' three shots better than winner Tiger Woods ' and closing with a 71 to finish in the top 15.
 
Ideally, we just start off the rounds, make the cut, and if that happens, Ill try to progress as much as possible, Elliot said. As Lloyd says, its golf. Anything can happen. Hopefully, come Sunday, we can be up at the top of the leaderboard. You never know.
 
Leave it to Zack to best describe the differences between his brothers.
 
I think Elliot is a lot more chilled out than Lloyd really is, he said. Lloyd always sort of plays to the crowd, likes to be in the spotlight. This is Elliots first time, but he seems to be a lot more chilled, a lot more relaxed, just staying within himself.
 

 
QUIGLEY STAYS HOME: Brett Quigley had the best 36-hole score Sunday at the John Deere Classic, 62-67 in the marathon finish to tie for second. It came with a perk that Quigley wasnt expecting ' a spot in the British Open.
 
He loves links golf and the British Open. He also had a pro-am obligation Monday, and his family was coming to Milwaukee to attend the memorial service for Chris Smith, whose wife was killed in a car accident in Indiana last month.
 
Quigley never thought he would have a chance at Turnberry, so he didnt bring his passport with him to Illinois. To go home to Florida to retrieve it would mean arriving at the British Open on Tuesday, getting his legs under him Wednesday, then teeing off Thursday.
 
Quigley had five minutes to figure out what to do, and decided to stay put.
 
My heart is not into playing the British, he said. I know Ill catch some heat for it. But I know its the right decision for me.
 
Quigley is not the first American to skip golfs oldest major. Kenny Perry sat out last year, even though he was eligible two weeks in advance, because he had committed to play Milwaukee in his quest to make the Ryder Cup team. Fred Funk also had designs on the Ryder Cup in 2004 when he skipped Royal Troon, figuring he would have a better chance to earn points in Milwaukee.
 
In a text message Monday morning, Quigley said felt better about his decision, especially the service for Beth Smith.
 
I cannot even begin to fathom his pain, Quigley said. I hope he feels the love from his tour family and everyone else. Family and friends are vital in these times.
 

 
A LONG WALK: Billy Foster, a prominent European Tour caddie now working for Lee Westwood, walked from the practice range at Loch Lomond to Turnberry carrying a 40-pound golf bag to raise money for health charities.
 
Foster raised nearly $100,000 that is to be split between the Darren Clarke Foundation for breast cancer research, and an organization in England called Candelighters Children Cancer.
 
He worked for Clarke at the 2006 Ryder Cup after Clarkes wife died of breast cancer.
 
The journey was 90 miles, although its a little less than that to Turnberry. Foster made a few detours along the way.
 
We arrived in Helensburgh a few hours early, and thought it would be keeping with traditions to go a few miles to the pub, he said.
 
He also tried a short cut that didnt pan out.
 
He was heading toward Irvine Bogside Golf Club and he saw it in the distance and decided to cut through this corn field, Westwood said. He got within 15 yards of the Bogside and suddenly realized whey its called Irvine Bogside, because between him and the golf was a bog about a half mile up and down.
 
Foster went an extra three miles looking for a way out, then finally charged through the most narrow part.
 

 
OPEN DRAW: Tiger Woods is used to having a lot of photographers follow him in majors.
 
The number is about to go up.
 
Woods will play the first two rounds at Turnberry with Ryo Ishikawa, a 17-year-old from Japan who has a massive following. They have never played with each other, although they met at the Accenture Match Play Championship in Arizona this year, where the Japanese sensation was an alternate. Some four dozen photographers captured the occasion.
 
Joining them will be Lee Westwood, who already feels more pressure than usual as a leading British player.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - The 138th Open Championship
  • Getty Images

    Langer not playing to pass Irwin, but he just might

    By Tim RosaforteJanuary 16, 2018, 1:40 pm

    Bernhard Langer goes back out on tour this week to chase down more than Hale Irwin’s PGA Tour Champions record of 45 career victories. His chase is against himself.

    “I’m not playing to beat Hale Irwin’s record,” Langer told me before heading to Hawaii to defend his title at the Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai. “I play golf to play the best I can, to be a good role model, and to enjoy a few more years that are left.”

    Langer turned 60 on Aug. 27 and was presented a massage chair by his family as a birthday gift. Instead of reclining (which he does to watch golf and football), he won three more times to close out a seven-win campaign that included three major championships. A year prior, coming off a four-victory season, Langer told me after winning his fourth Charles Schwab Cup that surpassing Irwin’s record was possible but not probable. With 36 career victories and 11 in his last two years, he has changed his tone to making up the nine-tournament difference as “probable.”

    “If I could continue a few more years on that ratio, I could get close or pass him,” Langer told me from his home in Boca Raton, Fla. “It will get harder. I’m 60 now. It’s a big challenge but I don’t shy away from challenges.”


    Bernhard Langer, Hale Irwin at the 1991 Ryder Cup (Getty Images)


    Langer spent his off-season playing the PNC Father/Son, taking his family on a ski vacation at Big Sky in Yellowstone, Montana, and to New York for New Year’s. He ranks himself as a scratch skier, having skied since he was four years old in Germany. The risk of injury is worth it, considering how much he loves “the scenery, the gravity and the speed.”

    Since returning from New York, Langer has immersed himself into preparing for the 2018 season. Swing coach Willy Hoffman, who he has worked with since his boyhood days as an as assistant pro in Germany, flew to Florida for their 43rd year of training.

    “He’s a straight shooter,” Hoffman told me. “He says, 'Willy, every hour is an hour off my life and we have 24 hours every day.'"

    As for Irwin, they have maintained a respectful relationship that goes back to their deciding singles match in the 1991 Ryder Cup. Last year they were brought back to Kiawah Island for a corporate appearance where they reminisced and shared the thought that nobody should ever have to bear what Langer went through, missing a 6-footer on the 18th green. That was 27 years ago. Both are in the Hall of Fame.

    "I enjoy hanging out with Hale," Langer says.

    Langer’s chase of Irwin’s record is not going to change their legacies. As Hoffman pointed out, “Yes, (Bernhard) is a rich man compared to his younger days. He had no money, no nothing. But today you don’t feel a difference when you talk to him. He’s always on the ground.”

    Getty Images

    McIlroy: Ryder Cup won't be as easy as USA thinks

    By Ryan LavnerJanuary 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

    The Americans have won their past two international team competitions by a combined score of 38-22, but Rory McIlroy isn’t expecting another pushover at the Ryder Cup in September.

    McIlroy admitted that the U.S. team will be strong, and that its core of young players (including Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler) will be a force for the next decade. But he told reporters Tuesday at the HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship that course setup will play a significant role.

    “If you look at Hazeltine and how they set the course up – big, wide fairways, no rough, pins in the middle of greens – it wasn’t set up for the way the Europeans like to play,” McIlroy said, referring to the Americans’ 17-11 victory in 2016. “I think Paris will be a completely different kettle of fish, so different.”

    At every Ryder Cup, the home team has the final say on course setup. Justin Rose was the most outspoken about the setup at Hazeltine, saying afterward that it was “incredibly weak” and had a “pro-am feel.” 

    And so this year’s French Open figures to be a popular stop for European Tour players – it’s being held once again at Le Golf National, site of the matches in September. Tommy Fleetwood won last year’s event at 12 under.

    “I’m confident,” McIlroy said. “Everything being all well and good, I’ll be on that team and I feel like we’ll have a really good chance.

    “The Americans have obviously been buoyant about their chances, but it’s never as easy as that. The Ryder Cup is always close. It always comes down to a few key moments, and it will be no different in Paris. I think we’ll have a great team and it definitely won’t be as easy as they think it’s going to be.” 

    Getty Images

    Floodlights may be used at Dubai Desert Classic

    By Ryan LavnerJanuary 16, 2018, 12:44 pm

    No round at next week’s Dubai Desert Classic will be suspended because of darkness.

    Tournament officials have installed state-of-the-art floodlighting around the ninth and 18th greens to ensure that all 132 players can finish their round.

    With the event being moved up a week in the schedule, the European Tour was initially concerned about the amount of daylight and trimmed the field to 126 players. Playing under the lights fixed that dilemma.

    “This is a wonderful idea and fits perfectly with our desire to bring innovation to our sport,” European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley said. “No professional golfer ever wants to come back the following morning to complete a round due to lack of daylight, and this intervention, should it be required, will rule out that necessity.”

    Next week’s headliners include Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia and Henrik Stenson. 

    Getty Images

    Ortiz takes Web.com Tour clubhouse lead in Bahamas

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 16, 2018, 2:19 am

    Former Web.com Tour Player of the Year Carlos Ortiz shot a bogey-free, 4-under-par 68 Monday to take the clubhouse lead in The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay.

    Four other players - Lee McCoy, Brandon Matthews, Sung Jae Im and Mark Anderson - were still on the course and tied with Ortiz at 6-under 210 when third-round play was suspended by darkness at 5:32 p.m. local time. It is scheduled to resume at 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.

    Ortiz, a 26-year-old from Guadalajara, Mexico, is in search of his fourth Web.com Tour victory. In 2014, the former University of North Texas standout earned a three-win promotion on his way to being voted Web.com Tour Player of the Year.

    McCoy, a 23-year-old from Dunedin, Fla., is looking to become the first player to earn medalist honors at Q-School and then win the opening event of the season.