Notes: Scott not getting involved in Woods, Williams split

By Doug FergusonAugust 5, 2011, 1:39 am

AKRON, Ohio – Even after Tiger Woods fired him as his caddie on July 3, after the AT&T National, Steve Williams chose not to go public until after the British Open so it would not be a distraction to his new employer, Adam Scott.

After the split was announced, Williams went on New Zealand television and said he was disappointed with Woods and that he felt as though he had wasted the last two years of his life. Clearly, hard feelings remain.

Scott, though, isn’t interested.

“To be honest, I haven’t really been following it,” Scott said Thursday after his 8-under 62 in the Bridgestone Invitational gave him a one-shot lead over Jason Day and left him six shots clear of Woods, who played for the first time since May 12.

“I don’t really care,” Scott said. “It’s not my business. And until it really has an effect on me and how I’m going to play, then I’m not going to … he’s dealing with it the way he wants to deal with it. He’s a big boy. He can handle it.”

There appears to have been no communication between Scott and Woods, and the Australian isn’t sure there needs to be.

He asked Williams to caddie for him at the U.S. Open if the Kiwi were available, and when Williams learned (after flying to America) that Woods was not going to play at Congressional, he called Scott. Williams caddied again for him at the AT&T National, where he was fired by Woods, and then the British Open.

Scott said at the U.S. Open that he has not talked to Woods, and he hasn’t seen him at Firestone.

“I saw him at Aronimink (site of the AT&T National), but I had no idea that it was going down like that,” Scott said. “I haven’t seen him yet. I don’t think it should be awkward. This kind of thing happens on tour. It happens a lot every year with everyone, and just because it’s Tiger and Steve, I’m not going to treat it like it’s anything different than anyone else going through this.

“I hope it’s not going to be awkward,” he said. “I don’t have a problem, but if he has a problem, then he can definitely tell me.”

Scott is more interested in what Williams has to say, and so far he has been impressed.

One thing is clear. Williams doesn’t mince words, a similar bluntness to what Scott received when he worked with Butch Harmon.

“He’s been very honest with me what he thinks of my game,” Scott said. “He thinks I can be as good a player as I want to be, but he’s adamant that you’ve got to put the work in, and I think he sees that I am putting in the work.”

Scott was asked if he thought Williams felt a little more motivation because this was Woods’ first tournament back.

“He just wants to get me going, wants to get me playing like this more often,” Scott said. “Yeah, I’m sure he feels good about today.”


BIG FIRST SERVE: Sergio Garcia played with tape tightly wrapped around his right wrist, due to a slight injury that doesn’t effect his golf game. In fact, he didn’t even tweak it playing golf.

It was tennis.

Garcia, known to be a good tennis player, had a doubles match last week with some of the tennis teachers at The Greenbrier. On one particular serve, Garcia went at it pretty hard and felt a twinge on the side of his right hand.

“It doesn’t bother me,” Garcia. “It’s just being safe.”

Garcia said if he really pops a good serve, he can reach up to 110 mph.


CLARKE’S DAY: Darren Clarke is back at the Bridgestone Invitational because of his win at the British Open.

It just didn’t go as well as he had planned.

Playing with Tiger Woods, Clarke bogeyed the opening hole from a fairway bunker, chipped through the green for another bogey on No. 5 and couldn’t get up-and-down from a bunker on the seventh.

It looked as though he was back in business on No. 8, when his 7-iron from 184 yards bounced twice and dropped for eagle. But it fell apart on the back nine, especially on the 17th.

Clarke had about a 15-foot birdie putt that came up 2 feet short. He jokingly pulled the putter back like he was going to smash what looked to be a tap-in par. Settling over the ball with a grin on his face, he missed the putt and took bogey.

Clarke wound up with a 77.

“Tough day. Did my best but my best was poor today,” Clarke later said on Twitter.


DIVOTS: Ryo Ishikawa cut off most of his hair, but didn’t lose much strength. He opened with a 67, finishing with an unlikely par on the 18th when he hit a 60-yard wedge from near the hospitality area and made a 10-foot putt. … The top 10 on the leaderboard featured players from seven countries. … Hunter Mahan and Graeme McDowell were the only players who failed to make at least a par on the par-5 second hole, the easiest at Firestone.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.