Expert Picks: 2015 Puerto Rico Open

By Golf Channel DigitalMarch 4, 2015, 2:29 pm

While the top 50 in the world rankings battle it out at Trump National Doral, a full field also tees it up in the Puerto Rico Open. Each week, a panel of experts will offer up their picks from four groups of players, based on Golf Channel's fantasy game, Fantasy Challenge. We will also keep track of their scores and standings. The panel includes: senior writers Rex Hoggard, Randall Mell and Jason Sobel; editorial director Jay Coffin; associate editor Will Gray; 'Morning Drive' host Gary Williams; host Charlie Rymer and defending fantasy champion Ryan Lavner.


Rex Hoggard

Group 1: Brendon de Jonge: Arguably the best player on the PGA Tour without a victory, he has been solid this season and Puerto Rico has a history of breakout champions.

Group 2: John Peterson: He’s been much more consistent to start his sophomore season on Tour, having missed just one cut in 10 starts.

Group 3: Vaughn Taylor: In limited starts this season (three) he’s finished T-20 (Sanderson Farms Championship), T-10 (Pebble Beach) and T-22 (Northern Trust Open) and has never missed a cut in three starts in Puerto Rico.

Group 4: Michael Bradley: Tough to pick a guy who isn’t ranked but the veteran has two Tour victories, both in Puerto Rico (2011 and 2009).


Jason Sobel

Group 1: Robert Karlsson: A win this week (or any other week) would be the exclamation point on a comeback from the swing yips just a few years ago.

Group 2: Scott Langley: Solid, consistent ball-striker who should flourish in a field where he’s amongst the highest-ranked players.

Group 3: Vaughn Taylor: Four straight top-25 results for the Augusta native. Only shame is that a win here won’t get him into the Masters.

Group 4: John Daly: There’s virtually nothing that can happen in Puerto Rico to bump the WGC from the headlines – other than a Long John title contention on the weekend.


Will Gray

Group 1: Brendon de Jonge: Nearly grabbed that elusive first win earlier this season at Sea Island, but he hasn't slowed much since, with three top-30 finishes in his last four starts. He has three top-15 finishes in four starts in Puerto Rico, highlighted by a T-3 finish in 2010.

Group 2: Zac Blair: The rookie might get carded until he's 40, but he has been playing some solid golf this season highlighted by a T-6 finish at Sony. Blair has five top-25 finishes in 11 starts, and another high finish could lock up his card for next season.

Group 3: Vaughn Taylor: Whether on the PGA Tour or Web.com Tour, Taylor has been in the mix on a nearly-weekly basis in 2015. He followed a T-10 finish at Pebble Beach with a T-22 result last month at Riviera.

Group 4: Jarrod Lyle: The Aussie is still working his way back to a full schedule, and a surprise run up the leaderboard this week in Puerto Rico would be a story worthy of headlines.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.