Match Play upsets continue Thursday in the desert with Jason Day ousting Paul Casey – a bracket buster for many – at least around the Golf Channel newsroom. Rickie Fowler’s 6-and-5 execution of Phil Mickelson shortly followed and boy was it fun to watch! Five birdies, two eagles, and how about Fowler’s fashion statement?! Here are a few fashion tidbits from round two in Tucson.
1. Rickie Fowler’s Bubble Yum Pink. The Puma rockstar has never shyed away from making a splash in the color wheel. Today was no different; Fowler showing pink is not for sissies. Fowler went pink on head and toe and, speaking of his kicks, according to Doug Ferguson when Mickelson saw his opponent clad in his pink attire he said, “My daughter Sophia has a pair that color too, she wears them to dance class.” That garnered quite a chuckle from the Twitterverse, but no doubt Fowler had the last laugh today.
2. Role Reversal Orange for Phil. Interesting choice in shirt color for Mickelson who today wore bright orange, `a la Rickie Fowler’s Oklahoma State traditional Sunday attire. And the breast cancer awareness pink worn by Fowler makes you wonder if the two were paying some kind of respect to the other? One thing’s for certain, Fowler certainly didn’t “respect his elder” with his killer play today.
3. Pink Panther. England’s Luke Donald was not afraid to strut his stuff in some light pink britches today. The trousers are a nice look, but not so sure about the shirt combo. On television it appeared as though it was lavender, but upon closer review, believe it was a dark shade of blue with pink stripes. Should have gone with a neutral solid because unless you’re Fowler, only one statement piece of clothing works at a time.
4. Color Pop Pants. Nick Watney followed Donald’s trend with bright light blue pants on day two. The lean California Hugo Boss brand ambassador pulled off the look with a basic sweater accented only by a few striped navy and red bands around chest. Watney pulled off a nice All-American look against the European Lee Westwood.
5. Andres Gonzales is Kenny Powers. While we won’t get to see coverage from the PGA Tour's opposite-field event until 6:30 p.m. ET on Golf Channel, we can’t ignore the leader of the Mayakoba Golf Classic. This Q-school grad has an uncanny resemblance to 'East Bound and Down’s' Kenny Powers.