Arkansas senior Lopez starts strong at Q-School

By Randall MellDecember 3, 2015, 12:16 am

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Amateur Gaby Lopez made a strong start Wednesday at LPGA Q-School.

With a 4-under-par 68 on LPGA International’s Jones Course, the University of Arkansas senior moved into early contention for a tour card and medalist honors. She’s three shots behind American Christine Song and China’s Simin Feng.

Lopez signed up for Q-School in a bid to help her qualify to represent Mexico in the Olympics next summer in Rio de Janeiro. If she earns LPGA membership, she said she will likely turn pro. If she earns Symetra Tour status, she’s uncertain whether she will turn pro or return to Arkansas.

The 90-hole event ends Sunday with the top 20 players earning full LPGA membership and with players finishing from 21st to 45th and ties earning conditional membership. All players completing 72 holes are assured of earning Symetra Tour status.

“This is a marathon not a sprint,” Lopez said of her fast start. “There is a lot of golf ahead and staying in the moment and staying patient is going to be the key for this week.”

South Korea’s Juli Yang, who won conditional status at Q-School last year after losing out for full status in a playoff, is one shot back. American Cydney Clanton is two back.

Megan Khang of Rockland, Mass., opened with a 69 just a week after turning pro. She made a good start despite the frustration of missing a 1-inch putt at her sixth hole of the day.

“It was a 1-inch putt, and I hit it about a half inch,” Khang said. “I didn’t know how to react. At first I was mad at myself, and then I just laughed. I birdied the next hole, so I knew I could calm down and everything would be fine.”

Khang turned 18 in October. She was low amateur at the U.S. Women’s Open this summer.

Cheyenne Woods opened with a 71 and is tied for 35th.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.