Bowditch eyes first win, leads Valero by 1

By Will GrayMarch 28, 2014, 11:24 pm

When the first round finally concluded Friday morning, Andrew Loupe's name was atop the leaderboard at the Valero Texas Open. By the end of the day, though, that distinction belonged to Steven Bowditch, who will take a one-shot lead into the weekend as he looks for his first PGA Tour title:

Leaderboard: Steven Bowditch (-8), Chad Collins (-7), Andrew Loupe (-7), Cameron Beckman (-5), Pat Perez (-5), Kevin Na (-4)

What it means: Bowditch got off to a hot start Friday afternoon, playing his first 12 holes in 7 under to grow his lead to five shots at one point. Despite a closing double bogey, the Aussie remains ahead of the pack as he, like many near the top of the standings, looks to secure a maiden trip to the Masters.

Round of the day: Collins carded a 60 last year on the Web.com Tour, and that capacity to go low was on display Friday at TPC San Antonio. The 35-year-old notched seven birdies against just one bogey during his second round, shooting a 6-under 66 that stands as the low score of the week. Collins reached 15 of 18 greens in regulation and moved up 30 places in the standings after opening with a 71.

Best of the rest: Bowditch created some distance from the pack early, beginning on the back nine and going out in 5-under 31. He added two more birdies on his inward half and appeared ready to challenge the course record of 63 before finding trouble around the ninth green. Even with a double bogey on his final hole, Bowditch carded a 5-under 67 that tied for his second-best score this season.

Biggest disappointment: Two weeks ago, Danny Lee held a share of the first-round lead at the Valspar Championship but ballooned to a 79 to miss the cut. Unfortunately, the Kiwi repeated the feat this week in San Antonio, going from the leaderboard to a trunk slam after rounds of 68 and 83. Lee had only one birdie Friday and made nine bogeys in addition to a triple bogey on No. 3 en route to an early exit.

Main storyline heading into Saturday: The leaderboard in San Antonio includes several players who aren't exactly used to the limelight, and most near the top need a win to head down Magnolia Lane in two weeks. Bowditch contended last year, tying for second at Greenbrier, but it remains to be seen if he can handle the pressure of a final pairing on the weekend.

Shot of the day: Bowditch had just 83 yards left after a strong drive on the par-4 12th, and the Aussie made quick work from there. He holed his short wedge approach for an unexpected eagle, earning him a share of the lead for the first time early in the second round.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.