WINDERMERE, Fla. – It did not go unnoticed this week that Keegan Bradley is putting with a non-anchored putter at the Hero World Challenge.
Although Bradley said his decision to switch from his anchored putter was motivated by what he considered his worst putting year in 2014, there is also the looming ban on anchoring that will begin on Jan. 1, 2016.
That deadline, it turned out, caused some debate in PGA Tour circles. When the circuit transitioned to its new wrap-around schedule last year there were questions as to when the Tour would begin the ban.
Seven tournaments have already been played that will count toward the 2014-15 season, and it will be the same next year prompting some to question if the ban would begin after next season, which would end with the Tour Championship in September, or wait until Jan. 1 which would result in two different sets of rules governing a single season.
Ultimately, the Tour decided to go with the Jan. 1 deadline, just as it will with any other rule changes regardless of the new split-calendar schedule.
“The implementation date for the proposed rule was one of the many facets of this review,” said Tyler Dennis, the Tour’s vice president of competition.
“But given that PGA Tour competitions are played under the Rules of Golf, the rules change on a normal four-year cycle and there are numerous other rules changes that occur, there is no plan to deviate from this timeline with respect to the new rule on anchored strokes.”