HJ Kim shoots major record 61 at Evian Championship

By Randall MellSeptember 11, 2014, 6:11 pm

South Korea’s Hyo Joo Kim made history in Thursday’s first round of the Evian Championship.

With a 10-under-par 61, she posted the lowest round by a man or woman in the annals of major championship golf.

In an eventful start at Evian Golf Resort, Kim’s round of 10 birdies and no bogeys followed a hot start by Hall of Famer Karrie Webb and the withdrawal of Michelle Wie after she re-injured her index finger.

Kim leads Webb by four shots and fellow South Korean Mi Jung Hur by five shots with defending champion Suzann Pettersen and Brittany Lincicome each six shots back.

Kim broke the women’s record for low round in a major by one stroke. Minea Blomqvist shot a 62 in the third round of the Women’s British Open at Sunningdale in 2004, and Lorena Ochoa shot a 62 in the first round of the Kraft Nabisco Championship in 2006. The men’s record in a major is 63 and shared by several players.

“I feel great, I’m very happy,” Kim told reporters in France after her round.

Kim is just 19, a freshman at Seoul University, but she is one of the biggest stars on the Korean LPGA. She was that tour’s Rookie of the Year last season.


Evian Championship: Articles, videos and photos


Webb, 39, was the early story in Evian, posting a 65 in a bid to win her eighth major championship, a feat that would move her into a tie for sixth on the women’s list of most major championship victories, equaling Betsy Rawls’ total.

Webb said she pulled a 12-year-old putter out of her closet before coming to Evian and it paid off with her hot start.

“Probably the best I putted in a long time,” Webb said.

Wie’s day ended early with the disappointment of another withdrawal.

Making her first start in a month, Wie reinjured her right index finger and pulled out on her 13th hole of the day. She said she hurt the finger again hitting a fat 3-wood stinger at her fourth hole of the day and again hitting out of a divot later. She was 5 over when she withdrew.

“I knew I should have stopped earlier, but I was having so much fun out there, and I wanted to keep playing,” Wie said. “But it got to the point where it was too painful. So, I just made the smart decision to not play.”

Wie withdrew after nine holes of the Meijer Classic on Aug. 7 in her last start with pain in the finger. She was diagnosed with a stress reaction to the bone. Wie hasn’t been able to build on her breakthrough win at the U.S. Women’s Open in June. She has two missed cuts and two WDs in her last four starts.

Rolex world No. 1 Stacy Lewis opened with a 70 with No. 2 Inbee Park and No. 3 Lydia Ko both shooting 69.

Getty Images

Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

Getty Images

Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

“It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

“What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

“When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

Getty Images

Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.

Getty Images

Farmers inks 7-year extension through 2026

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:04 am

SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance has signed a seven-year extension to serve as the title sponsor for the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines, it was announced Tuesday. The deal will run through 2026.

“Farmers Insurance has been incredibly supportive of the tournament and the Century Club’s charitable initiatives since first committing to become the title sponsor in 2010,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.


Farmers Insurance Open: Articles, photos and videos


“We are extremely grateful for the strong support of Farmers and its active role as title sponsor, and we are excited by the commitment Farmers has made to continue sponsorship of the Farmers Insurance Open for an additional seven years.

In partnership with Farmers, the Century Club – the tournament’s host organization – has contributed more than $20 million to deserving organizations benefiting at-risk youth since 2010.