Hoffmann reveals he has muscular dystrophy

By Nick MentaDecember 4, 2017, 4:32 pm

Morgan Hoffmann on Monday announced that he has been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy.

In a blog post on The Players' Tribune, Hoffmann details his struggle to obtain a diagnosis, which he finally received in November of last year.

Muscluar dystrophy is an incurable disease that results in the progressive loss of muscle mass. Per the Mayo Clinic, "some people who have muscular dystrophy will eventually lose the ability to walk. Some may have trouble breathing or swallowing."

Hoffmann, 28, writes that he first started noticing the deterioration of his right pectoral muscle in 2011.

"That was the beginning of a five-year period of misdiagnoses, frustration and confusion," he writes. "I visited over 25 doctors. While they were 'racking their brains,' my weakness progressed, my swing speed decreased and I continued to lose muscle in my chest. Today my entire right pec is almost gone."

Throughout the piece - entitled "So Damn Lucky" - Hoffmann reminisces about his childhood and his life in golf before setting new goals for what he hopes to achieve in his professional and personal lives.

"But I believe now that this is why I was put on this earth — so that when a child is diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, there will be a cure; there will be people to help with mental, nutritional and physical training guidance. And especially so that no disease will ever hinder a little boy’s or girl’s passion for life," he writes.

As for his long-term health, Hoffmann admits he isn't sure what to expect.

"Even though the type of muscular dystrophy that I have doesn’t pose an immediate threat to my life, there is a good chance that it will shorten it," writes. "I don’t know when that will happen, because there’s no way to gauge the speed at which the disease will spread."

A sign of his determination and his continued positivity, Hoffmann recorded his best finish in a PGA Tour event in February of this year, tying for second at the Honda Classic.

So far he has made four starts in the 2017-18 season, with two missed cuts and two ties for 23rd. Early in the piece, he refers to the last few months as "the most trying" of his life, stating that he has a "a new reality now, and a new purpose."

That purpose is to raise money and awareness to combat his disease. An early step in that process, he writes, will be a soon-to-be-announced charity golf event at his home course, the Arcola Country Club in Paramus, New Jersey.

He also remains undeterred in his quest to finally breakthrough into the winner's circle.

"This disease won’t keep me from achieving my dream of winning on the PGA Tour — and it shouldn’t keep anyone else from chasing their dreams either," he writes.

To read the full piece, click here.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.