Rory McIlroy forgot the cardinal rule of international travel: be careful what you eat.
The Ulsterman is battling a bout of food poisoning this week at the WGC-HSBC Champions in China. The illness led to McIlroy skipping a photoshoot with other players on Tuesday. He then withdrew from Wednesday's pro-am after only a few swings.
"I'm not feeling great to be honest," McIlroy told the European Tour. "I had something (to eat) a couple of nights ago and yesterday wasn't good at all. I thought I would be better this morning, but I had a piece of toast and a couple of bits of melon for breakfast and I came here and tried to hit some balls, but even just making a couple swings my stomach was too sore."
Earlier this week, McIlroy tweeted a picture of his dinner menu along with a caption that indicated he may have made the wrong choice:
Who would have thought the eel would be the safer bet!? Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow pic.twitter.com/K5vuGHbq5C— Rory Mcilroy (@McIlroyRory) November 3, 2015
McIlroy enters off a T-6 finish last week at the Turkish Airlines Open, and for the second straight week he will begin competition without a substantial practice round. But McIlroy has played in Shanghai before, most recently finishing T-6 in 2013, and he is optimistic his body will allow him to tee it up in the opening round alongside Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson.
"I just need another day of rest and hopefully I will be better tomorrow and I can play," he said. "I've seen the doctor, who has given me some antibiotics and something for the abdominal pain, plus some painkillers. I'll be loaded up, so hopefully I will be OK."