Mickelson withdraws from Valero with pulled muscle

By Will GrayMarch 29, 2014, 7:17 pm

Phil Mickelson withdrew from the Valero Texas Open after 10 holes Saturday, citing a pulled muscle in his right side.

Mickelson was 1 over for the round and 4 over for the week when he called it quits. Television coverage showed Mickelson being carted off the course at TPC San Antonio and stated that the injury was a pulled oblique muscle.

"My back's feeling great, my body's feeling great. I felt as good as I have all year," Mickelson said in a statement. "My speed is back, I was hitting the ball hard, driving it great.

"I pulled a muscle on my downswing trying to hit the ball hard on the first hole (his 10th). It just killed and it wouldn't subside for 10 or 12 seconds."

Having opened with a 77, the 43-year-old rallied to make the cut on the number after getting up and down from the water hazard on No. 18 to close his second round.

Mickelson's caddie, Jim "Bones" Mackay, spoke with Golf Channel's Steve Sands after the withdrawal and explained that Mickelson's preparations for the Masters may have led to the injury.


Sobel: Mickelson injury further clouds Masters outlook


"As you might imagine, he's trying to get ready for Augusta, he's hitting a lot of drivers, hitting them harder," Mackay said. "He hit one off the first tee, his 10th hole today and just felt a little pain in his side. It continued on for a few minutes and he just decided that he didn't want to take anything to chance relative to what's going on the next couple weeks."

This marks the second time Mickelson has withdrawn from a PGA Tour event in 2014. He also withdrew prior to the start of the third round of the Farmers Insurance Open in January because of back pain.

Mickelson has struggled to find his form in 2014, and his last top-10 finish on the PGA Tour came at The Barclays in August. He was a late addition to the Valero field, opting to return to San Antonio for the first time since 1992 in order to play more competitive rounds heading into the Masters.

"I haven't had the success I've wanted to early on at the start of the season," he told reporters Thursday. "I want to get in contention, I want to have a competitive round and work on playing proper golf and managing the game and the rounds."

Mickelson is still scheduled to tee it up at the Shell Houston Open, his final start before beginning his quest for a fourth green jacket. Reports earlier this week indicated that he would make a scouting trip to Augusta National early next week before heading to Houston, but those plans have now changed and his spot in the field at Redstone remains in doubt.

"I'm going to go back to San Diego for a couple days and have a doctor take a look at it, but there's really not much you can do for a pulled muscle," Mickelson said. "I hope I'll be OK to play the (Shell Houston Open) but I just don't know."

Mackay echoed his player's concern regarding next week's prognosis.

"In a perfect world, he'd love to play Houston. He loves the tournament, loves the city and it's great preparation for Augusta," Mackay said. "Obviously, he's going to make the right decision relative to what his body's telling him."

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.