Munoz sidelined after hand surgery removes tumor

By Randall MellMarch 18, 2015, 8:36 pm

PHOENIX – Azahara Munoz will miss at least a month after undergoing surgery Monday to have a tumor removed from her left hand.

Munoz, who posted a picture of the tumor on Instagram, told GolfChannel.com that she is confident the tumor is benign, but she is waiting for results of pathology tests.

“I’m not worried at all,” Munoz said.

Munoz will miss the year’s first major, the ANA Inspiration, formerly the Kraft Nabisco Championship, in two weeks. She tied for seventh at Kraft last year.

Munoz, 27, has won four times around the world, including the LPGA’s Sybase Match Play Championship in 2012. She’s No. 14 in the Rolex Women’s World Rankings and is expected to be a prominent figure in Europe’s plans to win the Solheim Cup for a third consecutive time with Germany hosting the event in September.

Munoz said she began experiencing sharp pain in her left hand, where the thumb meets the palm, while hitting balls on the range in December. She said that area in her palm turned purplish, like a bruise.

“I thought maybe I just hit too many balls,” Munoz said.

Munoz said she experienced more sharp pain hitting balls before teeing it up at the Honda LPGA Thailand a month ago and then it got worse in Thailand, where she felt excruciating pain after hitting a shot in the third round. The palm of her hand swelled significantly. She played through the pain, tying for 11th. She went on to tie for fourth the following week at the HSBC Women’s Champions in Singapore and then was diagnosed with the tumor upon returning to her home in North Palm Beach, Fla.

“Everything went well,” Munoz said of the surgery. “I’m really hoping to be back for Hawaii.”

The Lotte Championship in Hawaii is scheduled April 15-18.

Munoz was off to a strong start to the 2015 season. In four starts, her worst finish was a tie for 13th at the season-opening Coates Golf Championship.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.

Getty Images

Rose leads Indonesian Masters; Snedeker WDs

By Associated PressDecember 15, 2017, 2:04 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose completed the final two holes of his second round early Saturday for a 3-under 69 and a one-stroke lead at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose, who had a first-round 62, was among a quarter of the field forced off the Royale Jakarta Golf Club course after weather delays on Friday.

The Englishman, who bogeyed his last hole, had a two-round total of 13-under 131.

Kiradech Aphibarnrat, who completed his 64 on Friday, was in second place.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters. He has been affected by a rib-sternum injury for most of the season.