Report: D. Johnson suspended for cocaine use

By Rex HoggardAugust 1, 2014, 10:50 pm

Golf.com reported on Friday that Dustin Johnson is serving a six-month suspension for failing his third drug test.

According to an unnamed source, Johnson tested positive for marijuana in 2009 and for cocaine in 2012 and 2014. The story also reported that Johnson is “known to have had a sexual indiscretion with at least one wife of a PGA Tour player.”

Johnson released a statement on Thursday saying he is “taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately,” and earlier in the week he withdrew from the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational for “personal reasons.” He further informed officials with the PGA of America he would not be playing next week’s PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.

In response Thursday, the Tour would only say, “We have nothing to add to Dustin’s statement. But wish him well and look forward to his return to the PGA Tour in the future.” The PGA Tour’s policy is not to report violations of the circuit’s anti-doping program if the drugs are considered recreational, like marijuana and cocaine.

On Friday afternoon, a Tour spokesman also declined to comment on the Golf.com report, citing the circuit’s longstanding policy on player matters. But early Friday evening, the Tour released the following statement, officially denying Johnson is under suspension:

"With regard to media reports that Dustin Johnson has been suspended by the PGA Tour, this is to clarify that Mr. Johnson has taken a voluntary leave of absence and is not under a suspension from the PGA Tour."

Johnson, 30, was having a successful season with one Tour victory, a pair of runner-up finishes and over $4.2 million. He was fourth in FedEx Cup points and fifth on the Ryder Cup standings, entering the Bridgestone event.

When asked earlier in the week about a possible suspension, David Winkle, Johnson’s manager with Hambric Sports, texted a Sports Illustrated reporter, “Don’t believe everything you hear.” After Friday's report, he told GolfChannel.com: "I have no further comment."

In 2012, Johnson missed 11 weeks from the WGC-Cadillac Championship, which ended on March 11, to the Memorial Tournament, which began on May 30. At the time, Johnson said he’d injured his back and Winkle denied he had been suspended.

“Dustin is not serving a drug suspension. I will make it clear, he has been injured. He is playing golf again, he is very rusty but champing at the bit to get back out there,” Winkle told CBSSports.com in 2012.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.