Spieth wins Valspar in playoff

By Nick MentaMarch 15, 2015, 11:03 pm

Jordan Spieth made birdie on the third playoff hole to eliminate Patrick Reed and Sean O’Hair and win the Valspar Championship. Here’s what you missed if you were watching the Selection Show:

Leaderboard: Spieth (-10), Reed (-10), O’Hair (-10), Henrik Stenson (-9), Ryan Moore (-8)

What it means: The win is only Spieth’s second on Tour but his fourth worldwide and his third in the last five months, following victories at the Australian Open and Hero World Challenge in back-to-back weeks last fall. One back to start the day, Spieth made the turn at even par, picked up two birdies at 13 and 14 and scrambled into the clubhouse with a series of improbable up-and-downs on the last three holes to post a 2-under 69 and make the playoff. After halving Reed and O’Hair on the first two holes with pars, Spieth made a 28-foot birdie putt on the par-3 17th to win. The 21-year-old is now the third-youngest player in Tour history to win multiple PGA Tour events, behind only Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia. He is just the fourth player to win multiple events before the age of 22, joining Woods, Garcia and Robert Gamez.

Best of the rest: Reed charged from five back to start the day thanks to a 5-under 66. He was the first of the three to reach the clubhouse at 10 under thanks to a long, downhill birdie putt on the 72nd hole. He made two impressive par saves on the first two playoff holes to stay alive and appeared en route to making a third before Spieth ended it. O’Hair, who previously won at Valspar in 2008, made four back-nine birdies for a Sunday 67. He nearly won his second Valspar with a birdie putt on the second playoff hole that caught the edge and lipped out.

Biggest disappointment: Overnight leader Ryan Moore led the tournament by three shots with six holes to play but couldn’t find his way into the playoff. Bogeys at the par-3 13th and par-4 16th left Moore needing a birdie on 18 to join Spieth, Reed and O’Hair. Instead, he finished with a bogey for a 1-over 72 that left him in solo fifth. Moore was the only player in the top 23 who finished over par Sunday. He is now the eighth straight 54-hole leader on Tour who failed to convert.

Round of the day: Harris English finished before the leaders even teed off. Tied for 53rd overnight, English posted a bogey-free 6-under 65 to tie first-round leader Brian Davis for the low score of the week. English went out in 1 under, closed with five birdies for a back-nine 30, and moved all the way up into a tie for 10th.

Shot of the day: Any one of Spieth’s up-and-downs on 16, 17 and 18 could go here, but his 28-footer on the third playoff hole won it.

Quote of the day: “It was a crazy back nine, being three down with six to play. The Snake Pit, obviously, isn’t going to lend any birdies. … Just the scrambling coming in, those par saves coming in, and that putt (to win), that’s just luck. … I guess it was just my day.” - Spieth

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.