It doesn’t mean he’s playing, but it doesn’t mean he’s not.
Tiger Woods registered for the U.S. Open on April 4 at 4:33 p.m. ET, the USGA said on Monday. The three-time U.S. Open champion is exempt because of his historic victory in 2008 at Torrey Pines, but registering is still necessary to play in the championship. The deadline is Wednesday and all 51 fully exempt players have registered. Golfweek magazine first reported the news.
Just last week Golf Channel insider Tim Rosaforte said that Woods is targeting the Wells Fargo Championship May 5-8 at Quail Hollow for his return from back surgery.
“Not saying it will, but at the same time, don’t be surprised if it does,” Rosafore said on “Morning Drive” on April 22. “This is the logical choice.”
Mark Steinberg, Woods’ manager said, "Nothing has changed as of now. There is no timetable.”
Woods was spotted at Sage Valley in South Carolina last week speaking to players at the Junior Invitational. He hit drivers for the first time in public during a clinic for the tournament’s participants and was an honorary starter on the first tee for the second round.
The 40-year-old hasn’t played since Aug. 23 at the Wyndham Championship where he tied for 10th place, his best finish of the year. Prior to that he missed the cut in three consecutive majors. Last September Woods underwent a second microdiscectomy and a third procedure to alleviate discomfort in his lower back.
Woods skipped the Masters this year, marking the second time in three years that he missed the event that he’s won four times.