OHairs Father Releases Him from Contracts

By Golf Channel NewsroomJuly 27, 2005, 4:00 pm
The saga of Sean OHair and his father, Marc, has added another chapter. A fax from the elder O'Hair Wednesday said that he was releasing his son from financial contracts entered years ago.
 
Even though Sean must sooner or later assume responsibilities for his own actions, I will bail him out of another one of his problems by releasing him from liability concerning the contracts he is free he owes me nothing, Marc OHair said in his statement. (See full statement)
 
Sean O
Sean O'Hair has already earned almost $2 million in his rookie year on the PGA Tour.
Sean, 23, signed his first contract with his father when he was 17, agreeing to give him 10 percent of his earnings as a professional for life. He signed another one when he was 20, according to his father.
 
OHair has earned over $1.8 million in his rookie season on the PGA Tour, which includes a victory in the John Deere Classic.
 
OHair, who qualified for the tour through Q-school last year, turned professional at 17 at the insistence of his father, prior to completing high school. His father sold his business and reportedly invested $2 million in his sons professional future.
 
I was in business 20-plus years and I know how to make a profit,' he told 60 Minutes II in 2002. You've got the same old thing: it's material, labor and overhead. He's pretty good labor.
 
The two toured the country playing mini-tour events, with the father pushing his son relentlessly.
 
Sean began every day at 5 a.m., running and lifting weights. He was forced to run a mile for every stroke he finished a round over par. Fellow players remembered Marc verbally abusing his son on and off the course.
 
The two parted ways in 2002. They havent spoken since Seans wedding to Jackie Lucas in December of that year. The two had their first child, daughter Molly, in February of this year.
 
Sean has been a popular figure this season on tour. His story has been told and retold countless times. Wednesdays statement was Marcs first public response to the criticism he has faced.
 
Because I love Sean, I put a long-term plan together and financed it producing one of the best young players in the world. I demanded long hours and a commitment to excellence that I do not regret, the fax said.
 
In those stale years from the fall of 99 thru the fall of 02, Seans game went into seclusion as a result of being bitterly frustrated because he was stuck between adolescence and young adulthood.
 
As a rookie parent, I didnt recognize the problem and we had a very painful split. It wasnt until after Seans marriage that I realized that he simply needed his independence from me and wanted his own space with his woman to spread his eagle wings and fly. But Sean and his wife, in almost a vindictive tantrum, began a media assault a couple of years ago that has branded me forever. I wish Sean had just given me a call to tell me how bitter he was and why he was so bitter instead of unfairly bashing me in the press. There were so many twisted truths and outright lies told about me in the media.
 
I would have responded to the media blitzes in the past but didnt at my wife Brendas request.
 
Marc O'Hair confirmed that he sent the fax via another fax. 'I wanted to get this fax out before the Buick begins (Thursday),' said the message. 'Maybe I'll get lucky and be left alone to watch Sean.'
 
Related Links:
  • Marc O'Hair's Full Statement
  • Full Coverage - Buick Open
  • Scores - Buick Open
  • O'Hair's Scorecard - Buick Open
  • Getty Images

    DJ shoots 64 to surge up leaderboard in Abu Dhabi

    By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 1:48 pm

    Dustin Johnson stood out among a star-studded three-ball that combined to shoot 18 under par with just one bogey Friday at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

    Shaking off a sloppy first round at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, Johnson matched the low round of the day with a 64 that put him within four shots of Thomas Pieters’ lead.

    “I did everything really well,” Johnson said. “It was a pretty easy 64.”

    Johnson made four bogeys during an even-par 72 on Thursday and needed a solid round Friday to make the cut. Before long, he was closer to the lead than the cut line, making birdie on three of the last four holes and setting the pace in a group that also included good rounds from Rory McIlroy (66) and Tommy Fleetwood (68).

    Coming off a blowout victory at Kapalua, Johnson is searching for his first regular European Tour title. He tied for second at this event a year ago.

    Johnson’s second-round 64 equaled the low round of the day (Jorge Campillo and Branden Grace). 

    “It was just really solid all day long,” Johnson said. “Hit a lot of great shots, had a lot of looks at birdies, which is what I need to do over the next two days if I want to have a chance to win on Sunday.” 

    Getty Images

    Closing eagle moves Rory within 3 in Abu Dhabi

    By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 12:57 pm

    What rust? Rory McIlroy appears to be in midseason form.

    Playing competitively for the first time since Oct. 8, McIlroy completed 36 holes without a bogey Friday, closing with an eagle to shoot 6-under 66 to sit just three shots back at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

    “I’m right in the mix after two days and I’m really happy in that position,” he told reporters afterward.

    McIlroy took a 3 ½-month break to heal his body, clear his mind and work on his game after his first winless year since 2008, his first full season as a pro.

    He's back on track at a familiar playground, Abu Dhabi Golf Club, where he’s racked up eight top-11s (including six top-3s) in his past nine starts there.


    Full-field scores from the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship


    McIlroy opened with a 69 Thursday, then gave himself even more chances on Day 2, cruising along at 4 under for the day when he reached the par-5 closing hole. After launching a 249-yard long iron to 25 feet, he poured in the eagle putt to pull within three shots of Thomas Pieters (65). 

    Despite the layoff, McIlroy edged world No. 1 Dustin Johnson, coming off a blowout victory at Kapalua, by a shot over the first two rounds. 

    “DJ is definitely the No. 1 player in the world right now, and one of, if not the best, driver of the golf ball," McIlroy said. "To be up there with him over these first two days, it proves to me that I’m doing the right things and gives me a lot of confidence going forward.”

    Getty Images

    Duke to fill in for injured Pavin at CareerBuilder

    By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

    Ken Duke will fill in for Corey Pavin for the next two rounds of the CareerBuilder Challenge – with nothing at stake but his amateur partner’s position on the leaderboard.

    Pavin was 4 over par when he withdrew after 17 holes Thursday because of a neck injury. Tournament officials phoned Duke, the first alternate, and asked if he would take Pavin’s spot and partner with Luis Lopez for the next two rounds, even though he would not receive any official money.

    Duke accepted and explained his decision on Twitter:

    Playing on past champion’s status, the 48-year-old Duke has made only four starts this season, with a best finish of a tie for 61st at the RSM Classic.

    Pavin received a sponsor exemption into the event, his first PGA Tour start since the 2015 Colonial. 

    Getty Images

    Kelly, Sauers co-lead in Hawaii; Monty, Couples in mix

    By Associated PressJanuary 19, 2018, 3:52 am

    KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Fresh off a solid performance on Oahu, Jerry Kelly shot an 8-under 64 on the Big Island on Thursday to share the first-round lead at the Mitsubishi Electric Championship, the season opener on the PGA Tour Champions.

    The 51-year-old Kelly, who tied for 14th at the PGA Tour's Sony Open last week in Honolulu, birdied five of his final seven holes to shoot 30 on the back nine at Hualalai. He won twice last season, his first on the over-50 tour.

    Gene Sauers also shot 64, going bogey-free amid calm conditions. Thirty-two of the 44 players broke par in the limited-field event, which includes winners from last season, past champions of the event, major champions and Hall of Famers.

    Rocco Mediate and Colin Montgomerie were one shot back, and Fred Couples, Kevin Sutherland and Kirk Triplett were another shot behind.

    Bernhard Langer, defending the first of his seven 2017 titles, was in the middle of the pack after a 69.