Otto Retains Lead Rose in Contention Again

By Golf Channel NewsroomJanuary 27, 2001, 5:00 pm
Hennie Otto shot a round of 71 Saturday, good enough to finish at 10-under-par 206 and retain his lead over the rest of the field at the Mercedes-Benz South African Open.
 
The 24-year-old from South Africa leads by two strokes over Roger Wessels, who carded an even-par 72 to land on 8-under for the tournament. Three back are Mark McNulty and last week's runner-up in the Alfred Dunhill Championship, Justin Rose.
 
Of the four top players, only Rose has gotten progressively better with each passing round, shooting a day-low 68 on Saturday. It follows up scores of 72 and 69.
 
His round might not have been so low, had it not been for a furious display of golf over the back nine of the East London Golf Club. After going out in 1-over 37, the 20-year-old from England stormed home in just 31 strokes, chipping in for eagle at the par-5 11th and following it up with birdies at holes 12, 13 and 15.
 
'I played well all the way around but holed nothing going out and just about everything coming back,' he said. 'After nine holes I didn't think I had a chance.'
 
It wasn't long ago that Rose didn't think he had a chance in golf at all. After recording a fourth-place finish in the 1998 British Open as a 17-year-old, he would go on to play dismal golf as a professional, missing 21 consecutive cuts at one point.
 
However, recent work with David Leadbetter and the runner-up finish last week to Australian Adam Scott has seemed to renew the confidence in his game. He appears to be coming into his own, and it was very apparent on Saturday.
 
'It's nice to be in contention again,' he said. 'I was aware that it could be difficult to focus after last week, but I tried to make sure I forgot about it, but used the positives in the right way.'
 
Otto is also trying to focus on the positives which arose from a recent and highly-publicized incident at the South African Masters, in which he snapped all the clubs in his bag and tossed them into a river following a score of 80.
 
He has since been remorseful for his actions and has claimed to have learned a valuable lesson.
 
His round on Saturday could very well have been deep into the 60s as well, as he carded five birdies on the day. But the 24-year-old grinded at times also, and offset those red figures with bogies at holes 2, 9, 12 and 18. Nevertheless, he remains confident and content at where he stands on the leaderboard.
 
'As for the others, they are chasing me,' he commented. 'They have to shoot 69 and me 72 to be in a playoff, and every day I feel more comfortable with my swing.'
 
His swing may be feeling better, but his scores are not showing it. While Rose has improved every day, Otto has worsened, going 65-70-71.
 
Sunday should prove extremely interesting to see how these two very young and very good golfers respond to their respective situations.
 
Click here for Full-Field scores from the South African Open!
 
Getty Images

Tiger Tracker: Honda Classic

By Tiger TrackerFebruary 25, 2018, 4:45 pm

Tiger Woods is making his third start of the year at the Honda Classic. We're tracking him at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.


Getty Images

Hahn jabs USGA over possible ball rollback

By Will GrayFebruary 25, 2018, 4:43 pm

As debate continues to heat up over possible sweeping changes to the golf ball amid distance concerns, PGA Tour pro James Hahn chimed in to question the merits of a potential rollback.

The ball and distance debate gained traction earlier this week when Jack Nicklaus offered that the ball should be rolled back to the approximate distances achieved in 1995, and he put blame for the current situation squarely at the feet of Titleist. That drew a response from former Titleist CEO Wally Uihlein, who put the onus back on the governing bodies.

It's an issue that will likely be discussed for months to come, but Hahn took to Twitter to throw a jab toward the USGA and play devil's advocate on some key arguments related to a possible rollback:

Hahn, who has two career PGA Tour wins and lost in a playoff last month at the Sony Open, ranks 55th on Tour this season in driving distance with an average of 301.2 yards off the tee.

Getty Images

Na fires back over slow play criticism from cricketer

By Will GrayFebruary 25, 2018, 4:00 pm

Kevin Na fired back over recent criticism he received about his purported slow play at last week's Genesis Open.

Kevin Pietersen is a retired English cricketer with more than 3.6 million followers on Twitter. He tweeted a video of Na, known as one of the slower players on the PGA Tour, taking more than a minute to line up and hit what he described as a "Tap In" during the final round at Riviera:

He then added another video of himself on a green in Dubai, where he again called out Na and showed how long he believed it should take for a player to brush in a short putt:

Na has faced his fair share of slow play criticism, but this time he decided to defend himself. Na isn't on Twitter, but he took to Instagram to tell Pietersen to "stick to your own sport," pointing out both the length of the putt in question and the stakes that were involved during the final round, when Na went on to tie for second behind Bubba Watson:

Getty Images

Pepperell wins his first European Tour title in Qatar

By Associated PressFebruary 25, 2018, 3:31 pm

DOHA, Qatar - Eddie Pepperell survived a tense finish to win the Qatar Masters at the Doha Golf Club on Sunday for his maiden European Tour title.

The 27-year-old Englishman held off a spirited challenge from compatriot Oliver Fisher, who needed a third successive birdie on the 18th hole to force a playoff, but had his putt from six feet slip past the hole for a par.

Pepperell shot a 2-under-par 70 for a four-day tally of 18 under 270, while Fisher, who started the day tied for the lead, could only manage a 71.

Sweden's Marcus Kinhult (68) finished third at 16-under.

The No. 154-ranked Pepperell made things difficult for himself with a bogey on the 15th hole, but hit a superb wedge to three feet on the next to get back to 18 under again.

Fisher, who appeared to have fallen out of contention with three bogeys starting on the third hole, stormed back with birdies on the 14th, 16th and 17th holes.

On the last, Pepperell laid up with his second into the thick rough, made wet and unwieldy by rain in the Qatar capital, but found the green in three and two-putted for the win when Fisher missed his birdie putt.


Full-field scores from the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters


''I did the things I needed to do, I didn't play fantastic but I won ugly and for the first win to be ugly is good. Hopefully, I'll have some prettier ones in the future,'' said Pepperell.

''I knew I was playing well, especially tee to green, so I expected a lot of myself this week and I guess to pull it off is amazing. When Oli birdied the 17th, that was when it really caught up with me that I was only one ahead. I was in my own zone, I knew I had a couple of shots of lead but Oli did great. It was a tough front nine for him and I had to stay right in my own way and out of the two guys' way because they were struggling a bit and it's sometimes easy to get dragged into that.''

Fisher was disappointed, but saw the silver lining in the way he fought back.

''It went all the way to the last hole which, after my front nine, was what I was hoping for on the back nine,'' said Fisher, who won the 2011 Czech Open, but recorded his first top-three finish since the 2014 Africa Open.

''I hit a lot of good shots coming down the back nine and gave myself a lot of good chances, but there were just too many bogeys today, four in total, so you're never going to win a tournament making that many mistakes on a Sunday. But at least I pressed him all the way.''

Italian Renato Paratore (66) had the low round of the day and finished tied for fourth place at 15 under par, where he was joined by the Spanish pair of Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano and Pablo Larrazabal along with Gregory Havret of France.