Ko, 15, goes for LPGA history in Canada

By Randall MellAugust 26, 2012, 12:14 am

Lydia Ko isn’t just leading the CN Canadian Women’s Open.

She played well enough tee to green Saturday to run away with it at Vancouver Golf Club.

It’s a staggering possibility given she is just 15 years old.

Ko moved into position to become the youngest winner in the 63-year history of the LPGA and the first amateur to win an LPGA event in 43 years.


Video: Ko on track to make history


With an even-par 72, Ko took sole possession of the lead in the third round. At 8-under 208, she built herself a one-shot lead that could have been so much larger. Ko missed a couple birdie chances inside 4 feet and had three three-putt bogeys. She couldn’t take full advantage of some terrific ball striking with a balky putter. She needed 35 putts in the third round.

Ko will get a formidable test Sunday trying to make history.

Just a shot back are Stacy Lewis (66), who leads the Rolex Player of the Year points list, and Jiyai Shin (69), a former Rolex world No. 1. Also one back are Chella Choi (73) and Inbee Park (70).

Ko is leading a star-studded cast with the event featuring 48 of the top 50 players on the LPGA money list. It’s a field that includes Rolex No. 1 Yani Tseng, who opened with a 66 but has struggled the past two rounds with a 75 on Friday and a 74 on Saturday. Tseng is seven shots back of Ko.

Women’s golf has never felt younger.

A year after Lexi Thompson became the youngest winner of an LPGA event at 16, Ko has a chance to top her. If Ko can pull it off Sunday, she will be the first amateur to win an LPGA event since JoAnne Carner won the Burdine’s Invitational in 1969. Ko, who was born in South Korea but moved to New Zealand at 6, is enjoying a whirlwind of success this summer. She won the U.S. Women’s Amateur two weeks ago. She was the low amateur at the U.S. Open last month. She won the New South Wales Open in Australia back in January when she was still 14, becoming the youngest winner of any professional event.

“Yeah, 15-year-olds don’t lead at an LPGA event all the time, but, like I said, I'm very surprised,” Ko said. “But I've been playing really good golf, and I've been really confident with my game.”

Lewis isn’t that stunned by Ko’s play. Lewis knows her game. She played with Ko earlier this year at the Australian Women’s Open.

Suzann Pettersen and I were talking,” Lewis said. “This is our job, and we’re working full time on it. It's not supposed to be her job, and yet she's beating us.

“I think it's good for the game. She's solid. She hits it good, she putts it good, and she's rolling with the confidence.
I say why not?  More power to her.”

Ko said she didn’t feel nervous playing in the final pairing Saturday.

“Tomorrow, I'm just going to try my best,” she said. “I've got to play my own game. I can't concentrate on what the other players are doing. If they shoot 66, and I shoot 68, and I lose, I can't control what they do.”

Lewis is curious how the 15-year-old will handle Sunday pressure.

“She’s seeing her name up on an LPGA leaderboard for the first time, though it’s not the first time she’s had a lead, but there’s got to be nerves there,” Lewis said. “You never know what can happen on a Sunday. You just want to have a chance.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.