What We Learned: Scott's Masters win

By Jay CoffinApril 15, 2013, 2:31 am

Each week, GolfChannel.com offers thoughts on 'what we learned' from the world of golf. This week, our writers weigh in on all things Adam Scott, who beat Angel Cabrera in a thrilling playoff to win the Masters and claim his first major championship.

Adam Scott has the game to win the career grand slam. He won’t, but his game is suited for all majors. He’s won the Masters and proved last summer that he can win the British Open, even though he didn’t. Five top-12 finishes at the PGA Championship show he can win that when in good form. His U.S. Open record isn’t stellar but I wouldn’t rule him out this summer at Merion, a ballpark that will require strategy and precision. Don’t be surprised to see Scott knock off another two or three majors over the next five years. The floodgates are officially opened. – Jay Coffin


Adam Scott isn’t soft. In fact, he’s tougher than an Australian saltwater croc. Scott’s collapse at the British Open last year fueled questions about whether he had the internal moxie needed to break through and win his first major. Scott left no doubt Sunday at the Masters. He left no doubt bouncing back from that crushing loss at Royal Lytham & St. Annes last year, a defeat that could have spawned a legion of demon doubts. If Scott, in fact, had any, he slayed them with Sunday’s tough-guy performance. – Randall Mell


That the long putter’s days are numbered. Adam Scott’s victory on Sunday at the Masters completed the Anchoring Slam – following in the footsteps of Keegan Bradley (PGA Championship), Webb Simpson (U.S. Open) and Ernie Els (British Open). The ruling bodies say the proposed ban on anchoring, which is expected to go for final approval sometime this spring, has nothing to do with Bradley & Co., but most observers agree we would have never arrived at this crossroads had it not been for such high-profile victories by players who anchor. Scott’s victory just made it a clean sweep, and probably an easier decision for the USGA and R&A.  Rex Hoggard


It looked like the golf gods hadn’t gotten the memo. Maybe they were out playing their member-guest this weekend or maybe Mother Nature had won the rights to this production in a cutthroat skins game. Whatever the case, for the first four-and-a-half hours after the final twosome had teed off in the final round of the Masters, it appeared as though the golf gods’ usual Hollywood scripting of an edge-of-your-seat thrill ride was going to end as a snoozefest. Turns out, they were just saving their best for last. From Adam Scott’s gutsy putt on the final hole of regulation to Angel Cabrera stuffing his approach to force a playoff to Scott brazenly dropping the winner in fast approaching darkness, this one had all the fireworks of a Fourth of July grand finale. Credit those golf gods, who just nine months ago scripted one of the most brutal defeats you’ll ever see, with Scott bogeying his final four holes to lose at Royal Lytham. This time they paid him back with a green jacket – and gave us a fantastically dramatic Masters finish once again. Jason Sobel

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.