Remember when: Kisner suspended for cart racing

By Grill Room TeamAugust 11, 2017, 7:27 pm

Come Sunday evening, Kevin Kisner could be known as the 2017 PGA champion. But it's still not as cool as the title of: PGA Tour Pro Who Got Suspended From His Local Club For Cart Racing. Or, PTPWGSFHLCFCR, for short. He was promptly reinstated at Palmetto Golf Club, but it made for an interesting post-Masters story last year. Check out the original article below:

Original story: April 24, 2016

A recent video from Vice Sports featuring Kevin Kisner shed insight on how the PGA Tour winner spends his "off days" away from competition. It also appears to have earned Kisner a suspension from his home club.

Kisner is a native of Aiken, S.C. and plays out of Palmetto Golf Club in the same city, just a 20-minute drive from the front gate of Augusta National. Founded in 1892, Palmetto lists itself as the second-oldest golf club in the U.S. behind only Chicago Golf Club.

It was also the site of a recent video in which Kisner and several of his friends took to the course for a friendly, nine-hole match that also featured a cart race down the hill on one of the holes:

Kisner spent Friday scouting Oakmont for the upcoming U.S. Open, and he tweeted over the weekend that he was prepping for his next two starts by practicing at nearby Sage Valley Golf Club. That prompted some of his 14,500 followers to wonder why he wasn't playing at his home course, to which Kisner replied that he had been suspended over the video:

Kisner also tweeted that he is "having some issues" at Palmetto and that the other individuals in the video - all of whom were club members - have also been suspended.

"Pretty comical," Kisner wrote.

Kisner earned his first career victory earlier this season at the RSM Classic. He is expected to play in two weeks at the Wells Fargo Championship, followed by a start at The Players where last year he lost in a playoff to Rickie Fowler.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.