When using a stability ball it is important to follow these guidelines. They will ensure that you are performing the exercises safely and you are getting the most benefit from every repetition.
- Move in a slow, controlled manner.
- Maintain proper form with a neutral/pain-free trunk and neck position.
- Exhale upon exertion, inhale on return to start position of each repetition- this encourages trunk abdominal control and trunk stabilization.
- Move through full available range of motion each repetition.
- Avoid painful ranges of motion, postures, and positions.
When performing the stretching exercises outlined in the training programs, follow these simple rules.
- Hold each stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times on each side.
- Alternate stretches to each side to allow proper rest period.
- NEVER bounce while stretching.
- Stretch to the point of slight discomfort, but NEVER to pain.
- Maintain proper form to attain an effective stretch.
- Remember to maintain proper breathing
This week we will concentrate on flexibility exercises for the back and hip girdle. By keeping these areas flexible and strong you can create more power in your golf swing.
Lets Get Started!
Start:Sit on the ball with your fingertips supporting your back and head.
Action: Slowly walk the feet out until the upper back is lying on the ball.
Finish: Once you have reached a good stretch hold for 30 seconds. Slowly return to the start position and repeat.
Tip: If you find it difficult to maintain balance on the ball, spread your feet apart to just under the width of your shoulders. Your goal will be to execute the stretch with your feet together!
KNEELING SHOULDER STRETCH
Start:Start by kneeling in front of the ball placing your hands atop the ball about 18 inches apart.
Action: Sit back on your heels and drop your head between your arms. Slowly let your arms fall to one side until you feel a good stretch.
Finish: Hold for 30 seconds and slowly return to the start position and repeat. Repeat to the opposite side.
Tip:Keep the upper back and shoulders relaxed.
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 13 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.