Step 1: To determine your current fitness level, take the Fitness Analyzer on KellyBlackburn.com.
Step 2: Print a copy of the strength training log.
Step 3: Each week you will have 2 new exercises. This is a progressive workout which means that every week you will perform the new exercises along with the exercises from weeks prior.
Step 4: Perform the workout 2-3 times a week for maximum results!
Step 5: Print the exercises from weeks 1 - 5.
Here's a list of our goals:
1) Strengthen the shoulder girdle for more stability at the top of your back swing
2) Strengthen the trunk which is critical in making an effective turn
3) Strengthen the core muscles for better balance
4) Strengthen the forearms and wrists for better club control
5) Strengthen the upper arms for added distance off the tee
6) Strengthen the hip girdle for more power off the tee
7) Strengthen the upper legs for improved balance during your swing
8) Strengthen the lower legs for more push-off power in the downswing
9) Ultimately increase your overall fitness level and reduce your handicap!
Let's get started!
Week 1: Hip Girdle and Upper Back
Week 2: Upper thigh quad and upper arm bicep
Week 3: Shoulder girdle and upper back
Week 4: Chest and front shoulder
Week 5: Hamstring and side shoulder
Next week we begin another series Flexibility on the Fly! We will be using a stretching aid found in the Golf Fitness Pro Shop.
Summer is around the corner so get started and improve your game! See the golf fitness DVDs and training aids available in the pro shop at a considerable savings! Remember you will need resistance tubing to do this recap!
Click here for training aids from the Golf Fitness Pro Shop!
Editor's Note: Kelly Blackburn has traveled the PGA Tour and Champions Tour circuits as a fitness consultant and trainer for 12 years. Kelly welcomes your email questions and comments, contact her at BlackburnOnTour@aol.com. Visit KellyBlackburn.com to learn more about health and fitness for golf.