Montgomerie Headed Home

By Mercer BaggsAugust 23, 2002, 4:00 pm
SAMMAMISH, Wash. -- Colin Montgomerie withdrew midway through his second round at the World Golf Championships-NEC Invitational due to recurring back problems.
 
The 39-year-old Scot pulled out after shooting 39 on the front nine Friday. He was 4-over-par for the tournament at the time. There is no cut with the 78-man field.
 
I am very disappointed. Its a real pity because I was looking forward to coming here and competing, he said. My back has been causing problems all week and if you cant compete with others who are physically fit then there is no point in carrying on. I am now in the process of trying to get a flight back home today and I will take stock of the situation after that.
 
Montgomerie was told prior to the British Open that he would not need surgery on his back. He was diagnosed earlier in the year as having four prolapsed discs leaking fluid.
 
This is the second time he has withdrawn from an event due to back problems. He pulled out of the second round of the Johnnie Walker Classic in January.
 

Norman Empathetic
 
Montgomerie was the subject of a Friday article in a local Seattle paper for what was perceived as boorish behavior towards the crowd Thursday at the Sahalee Country Club; however, he was also the target of unsolicited barbs.
 
Greg Norman, for one, is well aware of what Montgomerie is going through. A two-time major winner and eight-time major runner-up, the 47-year-old Australian has had his fair share of hecklers.
 
I feel sorry for him because I dont think he deserves it, said Norman, who is 1-over-par through two rounds of the NEC.
 
Nobody deserves it in sport, in general, to get the abuse that you get. I got it out of the parking lot (Wednesday) night; some guy comes out making a smart-ass comment, and theres just not reason for that.
 
Whatever comment they want to make, they can keep it to themselves, because if we turn around and make a comment back to them, then theres something wrong with us.
 
Norman went on to say that its only a minority of the crowd ' and not at one certain venue or event ' that he believes to be out of line.
 
You take 30,000 people and theres probably 30 of them who want to fire up Monty or whoever. I remember Shinnecock (the U.S. Open) with me back in 86, it was the same deal ' it was a handful of guys and theyre the ones that like to hear their voice and theyre the ones that like to share their opinions and, unfortunately, theyre the ones that give Americans a bad name.
 
Its sad. We dont really experience it anywhere else in the world outside of some places in America, and thats not really the way America is either. Youve got a few people giving America a bad image.
 

Beem Recharged
 
Rich Beem bounced back from an opening 74 with a second-round 67 to get to 1-under for the tournament. The reason for his turnaround - sleep.
 
'I got to bed about 10:00 last night and slept perfectly till right about 6:45 (AM),' he said. 'I finally felt better this morning.'
 
Beem estimated he had gotten less than 15 hours sleep since winning the PGA Championship.
 
Full coverage of the WGC-NEC Invitational

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.