Sutton Cracks the Shell in Houston

By Mercer BaggsApril 22, 2001, 4:00 pm
Three-hundred-and-sixty-five days after winning his last PGA Tour event, Hal Sutton won once again.

Sutton erased a two-shot overnight deficit by shooting an impressive 3-under-par 69 in very windy conditions to capture the Shell Houston Open.
 
Free Video - Registration Required Sutton comments on his Shell Houston Open win
 
This weeks victory was sweet redemption for the Louisiana native. Sutton finished runner-up in Houston in 1994 and 99.
 
Two years ago, he took a two-shot lead into the final round, but shot 75 on Sunday to finish one shot back of champion Stuart Appleby.
 
This is one that I wanted more than anything, said Sutton, who collected $612,000. Ive been close here so many times, so close yet so far, so this is really good. I knew it would be tough. Today, it helped to be packed with patience.
 
At 10-under-par 278, Sutton finished three shots clear of Lee Janzen and 54-hole leader Joe Durant.
 
For the seventh straight tournament, Janzen failed to break 70 in the final round. Winless since his 1998 U.S. Open triumph, he posted a 1-over-par 73.
 
Durant, seeking his third victory of the season, birdied his first hole Sunday, but then missed a pair of par putts inside three feet on the 2nd and 3rd holes.
 
That birdie at the first proved to be his last. Durant posted 14 pars and one bogey over his final 15 holes for a round of 2-over-par 74.
 
Durants bogey at the 3rd combined with a Sutton birdie at the 2nd gave Sutton sole possession of the lead at 9-under.
 
For the day, Sutton carded five birdies, but it was a bogey that saved his round.
 
Still leading at minus 9, Sutton hit his approach shot on the par-4 7th into the water guarding the front of the green. After placing his fourth shot 25 feet behind the hole, Sutton salvaged a bogey by sinking the putt.
 
That (bogey) was the turning point for me, said the 42-year-old. I could have come away with my confidence damaged, but I felt great.
 
Confidence intact, he carried that momentum into the next hole, lacing a 3-iron from 202 yards to within 15 feet of the hole at the par-3 8th. Sutton dropped the birdie putt to once again claim the outright lead at 9-under.
 
Another birdie at the 10th gave Sutton a two-shot cushion over Durant at 10-under.
 
Janzen bogeyed the 8th and double bogeyed the 9th to fall five off the pace. He tried to mount a late comeback by birdieing the 13th, 15th and 17th holes, but three-putted the home hole to tie for second place.
 
Following four straight pars, Sutton made his first mistake on the back nine at the par-5 15th. A missed fairway resulted in an errant lay-up. Playing from the rough, Suatton came up short of the green with his third shot.
 
Saturday, Sutton rolled in a 4-wood from off the green for an eagle at the 15th. He tried the same tactic on Sunday, but barely reached the green. He two-putted from 12 feet for a bogey 6.
 
Suttons lead was cut to one; however, Durant wasnt able to get any closer.
 
Durant failed to birdie the 15th, and then came up woefully short of the green on the par-3 16th. He bogeyed the hole to fall to 7-under.
 
Sutton then clinched the tournament by sinking a 15-foot birdie putt on the 17th. His round of 69 tied for the low score of the day.
 
Whoever was in control of the wind had it turned all the way up, Sutton said. It tests your nerves and what you have inside of you.
 
Sutton will now head to Greensboro, NC, where he will try and defend his title at the Greater Greensboro Chrysler Classic.
 
Full-field scores from the Shell Houston Open

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.