Woods Answers the Bell in Round One

By Mercer BaggsSeptember 6, 2001, 4:00 pm
In 1997, Tiger Woods missed his first cut as a professional at the Royal Montreal Golf Club. Four years later, hes back ' and a couple of things have changed
 
Tigers tougher, and the course is more benign.
 
Woods shot a 5-under-par 65 to earn a share of the first-round lead at the Bell Canadian Open in Ile Bizard, Quebec.
 
Woods tied the course record, as did Jim McGovern, Matt Gogel and Michael Muehr.
 
John Daly, Mark OMeara and Joey Sindelar each opened in 4-under 66. Daly is coming off his first victory in six years at last weeks BMW International Open on the European Tour.
 
'I'm hitting the ball better than I've ever hit it and that's a good sign,' Daly said.
 
Woods is in search of his sixth PGA Tour victory of the season, and his fourth successful title defense. He won the Bay Hill Invitational for the second straight year in March. He then captured his third straight Memorial Tournament in June. And in his last start, Woods once again three-peated at the WGC-NEC Invitational.
 
However, this week, Tiger is trying to defend at a different venue.
 
Last year, Tiger won at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville, Ontario. This year, hes competing at Royal Montreal, where he shot 70-76 in in 1997 to miss the cut.
 
Its been 76 starts since Woods has failed to qualify for weekend play. His last official missed cut came in the 1998 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am ' when he withdrew after the tournament, which started in February but was forced to conclude in August due to inclement weather.
 
Thursday, playing a course with far less penal rough than that of four years ago, Woods made the turn in 2-under 33, and then climbed to 4-under thanks to an eagle at the par-5 13th. Tiger crushed a drive and hit a 9-iron into the green with his second shot.
 
He finished his round by sinking a six-foot birdie putt at No. 18.
 
It wasnt on my mind what happened in 97 because I knew if I started thinking that way, then I dont think I could put the attention I needed on each and every shot, Woods said.
 
Woods and Gogel certainly have a history. Woods overcame a seven-shot deficit to win the 2000 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am at Gogels expense.
 
Gogel led outright Thursday at 6-under, but bogeyed the par-3 17th to finish in a tie for first place.
 
Of the leaders, Muehr had the most exhausting day. He hit only six fairways, chipped in for birdie on No. 16 and holed a 40-foot par putt at the 5th.
 
It was a scrambling day and it takes a lot out of you, Muehr said. But Im ready to keep playing.
 

News, Notes and Numbers
 
*Grant Waite, who finished runner-up to Woods in 2000 overslept Thursday, then was stuck in traffic and missed by six minutes his 7:29 a.m. tee time. Players are assessed a two-stroke penalty for showing within five minutes of their tee time. Any longer is an automatic disqualification.
 
*Mike Weir of Canada shot his lowest score ever in a Canadian Open with a 2-under 68.
 
Full-field score from the Bell Canadian Open
Getty Images

PGA Tour, LPGA react to video review rules changes

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

The USGA and R&A announced on Monday updates to the Rules of Golf, including no longer accepting call-ins relating to violations. The PGA Tour and LPGA, which were both part of a working group of entities who voted on the changes, issued the following statements:

PGA Tour:

The PGA Tour has worked closely with the USGA and R&A on this issue in recent years, and today's announcement is another positive step to ensure the Rules of Golf align with how the game is presented and viewed globally. The PGA Tour will adopt the new Local Rule beginning January 1, 2018 and evolve our protocols for reviewing video evidence as outlined.

LPGA:

We are encouraged by the willingness of the governing bodies to fully vet the issues and implement real change at a pace much quicker than the sport has seen previously. These new adaptations, coupled with changes announced earlier this year, are true and meaningful advances for the game. The LPGA plans to adopt fully the protocols and new Local Rule as outlined.

Getty Images

Sharma closes on Monday, wins Joburg Open

By Associated PressDecember 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

JOHANNESBURG – Shubhankar Sharma won his first European Tour title by a shooting 3-under 69 Monday in the final round of the weather-delayed Joburg Open.

The 21-year-old Indian resumed his round on the eighth green after play was halted early Sunday afternoon because of storms. He parred that hole, birdied No. 9 and made par on every hole on the back nine.


Full-field scores from the Joburg Open


Sharma finished at 23-under 264, three strokes ahead of the pack, and qualified for next year's British Open, too.

''I actually wasn't going to come here about a week ago ... so I'm really happy that I came,'' said Sharma, who shot 61 in the second round. ''I don't think I'm ever going forget my first time in South Africa.''

Erik van Rooyen (66) was second, three strokes ahead of Shaun Norris (65) and Tapio Pulkkanen (68).

Getty Images

Newsmakers of the Year: Top 10 in 2017

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Sharma among three Open qualifiers at Joburg Open

By Will GrayDecember 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

Shubhankar Sharma earned his first career European Tour win at the rain-delayed Joburg Open and punched his ticket to The Open in the process.

Sharma returned to Randpark Golf Club Monday morning after storms washed out much of the scheduled final day of play. Beginning the re-start with a four-shot lead, he hung on to win by three over South Africa's Erik Van Rooyen.

Both men can make travel plans for Carnoustie next summer, as this was the second event in the Open Qualifying Series with three spots available for players not otherwise exempt who finished inside the top 10. The final spot went to Shaun Norris, who tied for third with Finland's Tapio Pulkkanen but had a higher world ranking (No. 192) than Pulkkanen (No. 197) entering the week.

The Joburg Open was the final official European Tour event of the year. The next tournament in the Open Qualifying Series will be the SMBC Singapore Open in January, where four spots at Carnoustie will be up for grabs.