Bubba Watson - January 25, 2012

By Morning Drive TeamJanuary 25, 2012, 12:53 pm

Bubba Watson won the 2011 Farmers Insurance Open for the first of his two wins on the 2011 PGA TOUR and he returns to Torrey Pines this week to defend his title. He has wanted to start a Foundation but he realized that that would not be the best way to raise the maximum amount of money for worthy causes so he has called on his friends to try to raise $1 million dollars this year. PING is helping out by making a pink version of his driver and for every drive hit over 300 yards, they will donate $300 to a cancer-related charity. The campaign is called “Bubba & Friends: Drive to a Million” and fans can keep track of the money raised at BubbaWatsonGolf.com.

Looking back on 2011, the best moment of his year was being on the winning Presidents Cup team in Australia because he does not know if he will ever get to do that again and while his wins in San Diego and New Orleans were great, nothing compares to winning a team event for your country.

When it comes to appearance fees, he considers very large purses to be appearance fees enough plus he does not have to travel halfway around the world to play for big money when he gets to compete for millions closer to home. The large purses have contributed to his ability to buy the original General Lee car from The Dukes of Hazzard. He watched the show while growing up and he has said for years that he wanted to own the General Lee. He does not plan to sell it but will instead renovate it, drive it around, and take it to charity events. Right now, it has only the basic parts because the car that he bought was the one that jumped up in the air. He has driven it to the gas station and to In-N-Out Burger but next week he will drive it to the Phoenix Open and it will be there in Scottsdale. When he went to get a burger in Scottsdale, he had about 40 people take pictures with it and a lot of other people sat it in.

Over the last year, he felt that he has grown a great deal off the course. His week in France he felt was the best week of the year because of all of the places he got to see and the new things that he got to experience. He also learned what he can do to best help others and win or lose, he feels that right now he is doing what he needs to be doing for his friends and family. While golf is his first love and he wants to get better, he admits that his biggest challenge is practicing and acknowledged that golf will come ahead of his charity work because without good golf, he will not be able to help as many people as he feels he can help.

Being a member of the U.S. Ryder and Presidents Cup teams is something that ranks ahead of winning a Major in his opinion. While winning tournaments is nice and something special, representing his country is something else entirely because he is not just representing his teammates but he is also representing his country.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.