Whan has no choice but to waive age-restriction clause for Ko

By Randall MellOctober 11, 2013, 1:45 am

How do you deny Lydia Ko?

How do you say no to granting her a waiver of the LPGA’s rule requiring members to be at least 18 after all she has proven?

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan probably will grant a waiver to the New Zealand teen phenom now that she has petitioned, but he won’t do it lightly. As winner of the CN Canadian Women’s Open in August, Ko earned the right to claim LPGA membership, but at 16, she needs that waiver before she can do so.

Ko is planning to play the LPGA’s season finale, the CME Group Titleholders, as a pro next month, though she may make her professional debut a week before that, at the Lorena Ochoa Invitational. Whether she’s granted LPGA membership or not, Ko is going to be playing tour events as a pro from now on.

The question doesn’t seem to be whether Whan will grant the waiver, but when he should make it effective. Should membership be granted immediately? Or deferred until the start of next season? Or deferred until she turns 17 on April 24? That last option might be problematic for the family with the 2014 LPGA season getting such a big start in Australia and Asia, that part of the world Ko calls home.


Lydia Ko: Articles, videos and photos


As easy as this decision seems, Whan won’t rubber-stamp Ko’s petition. He is the father of three teenage sons. He sees the long view, because as deserving as Ko is, there’s more to his decision. There is more to ask than whether Ko is ready. There are questions about ramifications. About who comes next. About what messages are sent by granting another waiver to another 16-year-old. Lexi Thompson was also 16 when she got a waiver two seasons ago.

Before Ko and Thompson came along, Morgan Pressel, Aree Song and Jessica Korda got waivers, but they were all 17 and nearing their 18th birthdays. You can see what’s happening. You can see the petitions coming from younger prodigies now. Last year, Ariya Jutanugarn asked for a waiver when she was 16.

How many other 16-year-olds are coming next? And when will the next 15-year-old win?

Whan doesn’t want to be the commissioner who validated a new blueprint for teens wanting to play professional golf.

It’s a real dilemma for him.

Almost three years ago, back when Thompson was still 15, I asked Whan if he feared a new wave of teen phenoms will come knocking on the LPGA’s door. This was back after Thompson turned pro, but nine months before she won the Navistar Classic. This was back when Whan denied Thompson’s petition for 12 sponsor invites for the 2011 season, a total double what the tour normally allows non-members.

“At the real core of it, I didn’t think I wanted to be the commissioner that created a new pathway to the LPGA that made young girls around the world think that as a freshman or sophomore in high school that they have a big decision to make,” Whan told GolfChannel.com at the time. “I didn’t want to create this worldwide phenomenon where 14 year-olds are sitting in their living room and thinking, `High school or pro?’ It didn’t feel like the right thing to do.”

After Thompson won late in 2011, Whan granted her a waiver, though it was deferred until the start of the next season. He did so knowing what might follow.

“I respect the fact that Lexi is on a unique plane, performance-wise,” Whan said then. “I also know there’s another Lexi coming down the road in another couple years, but the standard’s going to be pretty high.”

So that’s where we are. Ko is that next player coming down the road, and she has more than met Whan’s high standard.

She’s another extraordinary exception to the rule.

That will be Whan’s way of holding back the floodgates, of tempering blueprints. Ko didn’t just meet the standard. She elevated it.

There’s the obvious evidence of why Ko deserves LPGA membership. She has won a pair of LPGA titles among her four professional victories. In 11 LPGA starts as an amateur this season, she left nearly a million dollars on the table. She just finished runner-up to Suzann Pettersen at the Evian Championship, a major. She is No. 5 in the Rolex world rankings.

Those are ridiculously compelling reasons to grant a waiver, but there’s more than performance in question here, and that’s what actually makes this easier for Whan.

Ko and her family showed remarkable patience and restraint through Lydia’s amateur run of success. They could have pushed to claim membership when she won the CN Canadian Women’s Open as a 15-year-old. They could have pushed for it after she won it again this year. They could have insisted she turn pro at any time this year to start collecting paychecks.

The family treaded carefully, though, planned cautiously, even as Lydia quietly began to lobby them to let her turn pro.

In her 11 LPGA starts this year, Ko got to show LPGA leadership and players a level of professional behavior (outside collecting paychecks) and maturity. That’s a lot of starts, a lot of exposure to all kinds of situations. It’s a lot of time to allow LPGA brass to interact with her and observe her.

Ko is a smart, level-headed young woman. She handles herself beautifully, without a hint of petulance or entitlement. Her family ought to get a load of credit for that. Her mother, Tina, has been at her side every step of the way. Tina, her husband and their team have guided this prodigy so skillfully.

Ko sets a standard that requires something extraordinary for the next 16-year-old prodigy to meet.

That’s why Ko’s petition won’t be denied. Whan doesn't have to lower the bar, not with Ko raising it.

Getty Images

Watch: McIlroy gives Fleetwood a birthday cake

By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Tommy Fleetwood turned 27 on Friday. He celebrated with some good golf – a 4-under 68 in Abu Dhabi, leaving him only two shots back in his title defense – and a birthday cake, courtesy of Rory Mcllroy.

While giving a post-round interview, Fleetwood was surprised to see McIlroy approaching with a cake in hand.

“I actually baked this before we teed off,” McIlroy joked.

Fleetwood blew out the three candles – “three wishes!” – and offered McIlroy a slice.  

<
Getty Images

DJ shoots 64 to surge up leaderboard in Abu Dhabi

By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 1:48 pm

Dustin Johnson stood out among a star-studded three-ball that combined to shoot 18 under par with just one bogey Friday at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

Shaking off a sloppy first round at Abu Dhabi Golf Club, Johnson matched the low round of the day with a 64 that put him within four shots of Thomas Pieters’ lead.

“I did everything really well,” Johnson said. “It was a pretty easy 64.”

Johnson made four bogeys during an even-par 72 on Thursday and needed a solid round Friday to make the cut. Before long, he was closer to the lead than the cut line, making birdie on three of the last four holes and setting the pace in a group that also included good rounds from Rory McIlroy (66) and Tommy Fleetwood (68).

“Everyone was hitting good shots,” McIlroy said. “That’s all we were seeing, and it’s nice when you play in a group like that. You feed off one another.” 


Full-field scores from the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship


Coming off a blowout victory at Kapalua, Johnson is searching for his first regular European Tour title. He tied for second at this event a year ago.

Johnson’s second-round 64 equaled the low round of the day (Jorge Campillo and Branden Grace). 

“It was just really solid all day long,” Johnson said. “Hit a lot of great shots, had a lot of looks at birdies, which is what I need to do over the next two days if I want to have a chance to win on Sunday.” 

Getty Images

Closing eagle moves Rory within 3 in Abu Dhabi

By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 12:57 pm

What rust? Rory McIlroy appears to be in midseason form.

Playing competitively for the first time since Oct. 8, McIlroy completed 36 holes without a bogey Friday, closing with an eagle to shoot 6-under 66 to sit just three shots back at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

“I’m right in the mix after two days and I’m really happy in that position,” he told reporters afterward.

McIlroy took a 3 ½-month break to heal his body, clear his mind and work on his game after his first winless year since 2008, his first full season as a pro.

He's back on track at a familiar playground, Abu Dhabi Golf Club, where he’s racked up eight top-11s (including six top-3s) in his past nine starts there.


Full-field scores from the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship


McIlroy opened with a 69 Thursday, then gave himself even more chances on Day 2, cruising along at 4 under for the day when he reached the par-5 closing hole. After launching a 249-yard long iron to 25 feet, he poured in the eagle putt to pull within three shots of Thomas Pieters (65). 

Despite the layoff, McIlroy edged world No. 1 Dustin Johnson, coming off a blowout victory at Kapalua, by a shot over the first two rounds. 

“DJ is definitely the No. 1 player in the world right now, and one of, if not the best, driver of the golf ball," McIlroy said. "To be up there with him over these first two days, it proves to me that I’m doing the right things and gives me a lot of confidence going forward.”

Getty Images

Duke to fill in for injured Pavin at CareerBuilder

By Ryan LavnerJanuary 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Ken Duke will fill in for Corey Pavin for the next two rounds of the CareerBuilder Challenge – with nothing at stake but his amateur partner’s position on the leaderboard.

Pavin was 4 over par when he withdrew after 17 holes Thursday because of a neck injury. Tournament officials contacted Duke, the first alternate, and asked if he would take Pavin’s spot and partner with Luis Lopez for the next two rounds, even though he would not receive any official money.

Duke accepted and explained his decision on Twitter:

Playing on past champion’s status, the 48-year-old Duke has made only four starts this season, with a best finish of a tie for 61st at the RSM Classic.

Pavin received a sponsor exemption into the event, his first PGA Tour start since the 2015 Colonial.