Womens Open field comes under scrutiny

By Randall MellJuly 6, 2009, 4:00 pm
2009 U.S. WomenThe U.S. Womens Open begins this week with the strength of its field under scrutiny.
 
Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis didnt make it under the U.S. Golf Associations new exemption criteria. Neither did LPGA veteran Wendy Ward and rookie Vicky Hurst.
 
But 29 amateurs will tee it up when play begins Thursday at the Saucon Valley Country Clubs Old Course in Bethlehem, Pa.
 
When the USGA released its new exemption criteria earlier this year, red flags went up in the offices at the LPGA, an intensely interested bystander in the national championships makeup.
 
There were some top LPGA players and marquee names not in the field, and I voiced my concern about that, said Jane Geddes, the LPGAs senior vice president of tournament operations and player services. I understand that after you win a U.S. Womens Open, people dont ask you what the field was like, but Id like to believe that the U.S. Womens Open is one of the most prestigious championships, if not the most prestigious, and that you are competing against the best players at the moment. Im not sure this new criteria lends itself to that.
 
Geddes is a former LPGA player whose 11 titles include the 1986 U.S. Womens Open.
 
The U.S. Womens Open is conducted by the USGA. The LPGA had no input in how exemptions were devised, but Geddes role dictates that she protect the interests of LPGA players. She voiced concerns about the USGAs criteria when the new exemptions were released, before it became clear Wie, Gulbis and other LPGA members werent going to make the field.
 
What I voiced was less about the specifics of the criteria, more about the spirit of making sure we have the best field possible on a world stage, Geddes said. I know thats what the players want. Its my job to make sure the USGA knows what my opinion is.
 
The most significant changes to the USGAs new exemption criteria were in how it used the LPGAs money list.
 
Before this year, the USGA offered exemptions to the top 40 players on the season-ending money list from the previous year, plus the top 35 on the money list as of June 1 of the current year. This year, changes were implemented so that the top 50 off the final 2008 money list were exempt, plus the top 10 on the money list as of June 1, 2009.
 
Essentially, the changes meant more players from the previous year got exemptions with fewer getting them in the current year.
 
Obviously, we want the worlds best players in the field, but that can become a subjective issue, said Mike Butz, the USGAs deputy executive director.
 
Butz said the changes were designed to exempt the most consistently exceptional performers over a period of time.
 
With the shrinking womens schedule, USGA officials became concerned that the LPGA was playing just 11 regular events before the June 1 money list criteria kicked in for the current year. By comparison, the PGA Tour played 23 events prior to June 1.
 
The women used to play 15 events (by June 1), Butz said. There was a question whether it was right to exempt the top 35 off just 11 events.
 
If the USGA were still using top 35 in money from the current year, Wie, Gulbis, Ward and Hurst would have made the field.
 
Wies an LPGA rookie who didnt become a member until this year, but shes enjoying a solid first season. She tied for third Sunday at the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic, her second consecutive top-10 finish and fifth of this season. Shes 12th on this weeks money list and ranked No. 25 in the Rolex Womens World Golf Rankings.
 
Gulbis is 33rd on the money list and 39th in the world rankings and top five among gate attractions.
 
I felt badly for our players, Geddes said. Certainly, Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis are two of our top players, not just marquee players.
 
We tend to error on the side of whos playing well now. By July, we can get a read on whos playing well now.
 
Wie, Gulbis, Ward and Hurst had chances to play their way into the U.S. Womens Open through sectional qualifiers but failed to advance.
 
The USGA uses the Official World Golf Ranking for men as part of its exemption criteria for the U.S. Open. Those rankings have evolved since their inception 23 years ago and become a widely accepted measure.
 
The Rolex Womens World Golf Rankings are not used by the USGA, mostly, Butz said, because theyre still so young. The womens rankings were implemented in 2006.
 
Had the USGA used the top 50 in the world rankings as of May 25 of the current year, as they do for the men, both Wie and Gulbis would be in this weeks U.S. Womens Open field, but new issues would be brought into play. Four Japanese LPGA players and a Korean LPGA player not currently exempt would bump somebody out.
 
Neither the USGA nor the LPGA is ready to implement the world rankings.
 
We have to go where we are more comfortable, but I would say we are getting closer (to using the world rankings), Butz said. Obviously, as we go through the year we will take a look at how it all plays out.
 
The USGA also made changes this year to only exempt top 15 finishers and ties from last years U.S. Womens Open. Previously, the top 20 and ties were exempt. Scotlands Catriona Matthew is the only player to lose a spot in the field based on that change, but Matthews presence was doubtful anyway. She gave birth in mid-May to her second child and has yet to tee it up in an event since the birth.
 
Butz said the USGA will re-examine its exemption criteria, as it does every year, when its Championship Committee meets in October.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage - U.S. Women's Open
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.