Cut Line Can You Hear Me Now

By Rex HoggardFebruary 19, 2011, 3:48 am

Tiger Woods was fined by the European Tour this week for expectorating – it’s a word, look it up – on the 12th green Sunday at the Dubai Desert Classic while Lee Westwood has turned a personal decision into an assault on the PGA Tour’s policies.

Both got calls they didn’t want, which seems about right the same week the PGA Tour rebrands itself officially cell phone friendly.

Made Cut

Hogan’s Alley. In the age of TPCs and 7,500-yard behemoths, Riviera Country Club is a testament to creative architecture and challenging choices.

At 315 yards, the Riv’s 10th played to a virtual par push in 2010 (3.932) and had 153 of the world’s best attempt to drive its wildly pitched putting surface with just seven managing to pull it off.

“It's just old-time golf at its best, and like I say, this is one of the best,” Steve Stricker said this week at the Northern Trust Open.

Let’s hope the PGA of America remembers that the next time they go looking for a West Coast PGA Championship venue.

Pop quiz: What do Davis Love III, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Larry the Cable Guy have in common, beyond an affinity for turkey jerky and detailed knowledge of how to skin a deer?

Answer: All three are said to have written testimonials for Boo Weekley’s new book due out on March 29. Truth is, of all the golf books that come across our desk, Weekley’s tome is the one we’re most interested in reading.

Back to the Black. According to reports, the Tour is considering adding Bethpage Black to an already solid rotation for The Barclays.

Although we’d hate to see Bethpage fall out of the U.S. Open rotation, it would be nice to see the Grand Dame of public golf play the way nature intended, without the aid of squeegees and Sub-Air.

Captain creative. We have not been shy in this space taking Corey Pavin to task for the United States’ loss last year in Wales, but the 2010 skipper went outside the box this week when asked about expanding the matches to four days, going one better and suggesting the respective PGAs add an additional match to each session.

“It would be great if you could play five matches each session (instead of four),” Pavin said. “The players like it a lot more because they get to play. When you have to sit eight guys down every session, it's hard. That's a lot of guys to sit down, and you're sitting down a third of your team.”

Of course, had they had to play an extra match each team session last year in Wales the event may still be going on.


 

Made Cut-Did Not Finish (MDF)

PDAs (Please Don’t Attempt . . . to take pictures). The Tour announced this week it was moving forward with its new cell phone policy, although to most tournament-goers it may come as a surprise they weren’t allowed to bring their electronic leashes on property before.

Although the policy has good intentions, expect some growing pains if previous experiments are any indication. On Friday at the Farmers Insurance Open officials confiscated 13 cell phones from the throng trailing Tiger Woods at Torrey Pines . . . on the first hole.

The Tour is being proactive, however, and has tinkered with its enforcement policy since Torrey.

“We went into this with a zero-tolerance approach to photography. What we noticed is that we were spending so much time trying to enforce a policy that is quite frankly unenforceable. When you’ve got 2,500 people walking with Tiger and half have cell phones to try and enforce a zero-tolerance policy you’d have to have 1,000 volunteers,” Andy Pazder, the Tour’s executive vice president and chief of operations, told GolfChannel.com.

“We changed our tact a little at Pebble and focused our efforts on pre-tournament education. The biggest impact was we had volunteers and mobile device task force members that would make announcements along the rope lines. It worked beautifully. It was a much better way to approach it.”

The new policy will only help grow interest in the game but be warned – some learning curves are more painful than others.

Tweet of the week: @PaulGoydosPGA “Getting ready to play (the Northern Trust Open). Set a goal of being better than last week. I like setting attainable goals.”

Goydos missed the cut at Pebble Beach with closing rounds of 79-79.


 Missed Cut

Magic Loogies. It seems strangely apropos that the same day “Spit-gate” goes viral is also the same day that pitchers and catchers report to major league camps across Florida and Texas, where spitting is a sport unto itself.

Which seems to cut to the heart of Tiger Woods’ recent faux pas. On Thursday, a friend from Australia blasted Woods’ actions on the 12th green Sunday at the Dubai Desert Classic while a fellow American, and self-proclaimed non-Tiger fan, seemed to dismiss the act as childish but hardly a heinous offense. The divide seems to be cultural.

“I have quite a few players who would get fined in Europe for spitting, but the U.S. Tour doesn't care much about decorum, or enforcing any of its conduct rules,” said one longtime manager with players on both sides of the pond. “The attitude about spitting is completely different in Europe.”

Curious, however, that as egregious as Woods’ actions seem to be overseas, it hasn’t soured the powers on his singularly powerful draw. According to reports, Woods is close to penning a new deal that would bring him back to play the Dubai Desert Classic for three more years.

As offensive as Woods’ actions were, in the pantheon of etiquette violations, it was akin to jaywalking.

Tweet of the Week II: @TigerWoods “The Euro Tour is right – it was inconsiderate to spit like that and I know better. Just wasn’t thinking and want to say I’m sorry.”

We applaud Woods for the quick turnaround, but are not sure damage control is what the folks at Twitter had in mind for their social network.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.