Cut Line Family Over Fame

By Rex HoggardApril 23, 2010, 9:40 pm

Surprisingly busy week for those who carry notebooks for a living. Lorena Ochoa made 28 the new 58 when she dropped her retirement bombshell, Tiger Woods gave officials from Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., to Philadelphia a reason to exhale, and Brian Davis made us wonder how many PGA Tour rules officials it takes to state the obvious – add two and play away.

Made Cut

Lorena Ochoa. The game’s loss is Ochoa’s gain. We’ve heard it a lot this year, but one of the game’s most endearing champions went where few others have gone and put family first.

“This is a very special day, full of happiness,” Ochoa said on Friday. “There are so many things that I will miss and this has not been an easy decision to make. But this is my moment and I dreamed of it this way.”

Bobby Jones did it. So did Byron Nelson. As great as Ochoa’ playing career was it seems she’s destined to do greater things off the golf course.

Heritage/PGA Tour. Contrary to commonly held notions, the Monday after a PGA Tour event is far from a vacation day for tournament directors.

“I dread the week after,” Heritage tournament director Steve Wilmot said this week. “No cameras, no fans, no players. Now it’s work. A lot of work.”

The good news for Wilmot & Co. is that much of the heavy lifting was done by players last week, at least as it applies to Harbour Town’s precarious sponsorship situation. Wilmot said he plans to meet with the Tour soon and expects to finalize a deal that would assure the event is played in 2011 with or without a title sponsor.

Good news for a cocktail party that had a “last call” feel to it.

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Apologies if you’ve heard this one: Lee Westwood once mused that the Old Course at St. Andrews wasn’t among his top 50 favorite haunts. When asked, “In Scotland?” Westwood replied, “No, in Fife (the county-sized area around St. Andrews).”

Point is, landing consensus support for a golf course among Tour types is a statistical anomaly, like holes in one and the FedEx Cup points system. All of which makes last week’s announcement that the folks at Pebble Beach re-upped Monterey Peninsula’s Shore Course to the AT&T rota for four more years a victory of reason.

Now, if organizers want to completely blow the curve, may we suggest trading in Spyglass Hill for a return to Cypress Point.


Made Cut-Did Not Finish (MDF)

Christina Kim. Hard not to enjoy the game’s single-handed cure for chronic fatigue syndrome, but we were taken back by the title of Kim’s new book, “Swing from My Heels: Confessions of an LPGA Star.”

An LPGA star? Really? Kim is a “Rocky Road” player in a largely “vanilla” game, but two victories, no majors and two emotional Solheim Cups is not a resume that supports star status. Famed golf writer Dan Jenkins said it best a few years ago, round up a six-pack of majors and then come see me.

Tiger Woods. The world No. 1 continues to break from his routine, announcing this week he will play the Players Championship and AT&T National weeks before the deadline.

It is curious, particularly after the clinic he put on last year at Muirfield Village, that he did not throw the Memorial onto his “to do” list. While he’s at it, how about throwing a random Zurich Classic or Travelers Championship into the mix?

Both events could use the marquee and, let’s be honest, Woods could use the karma.

Brian Davis. The Englishman’s yellow flag on the first extra hole last week at Harbour Town was refreshing, particularly considering the moral flexibility that has consumed other sports, but golf is not other sports.

Davis’ own surprised reaction to his newfound celebrity was the most telling sign. Yes, he did the right thing, but what was the alternative? Michelle Wie?

Good for Davis, but “Cut Line” was more impressed with his 18 footer for birdie at the 72nd hole to tie Jim Furyk moments before his rules gaffe. One showed guts, the other a basic understanding of right and wrong.


Missed Cut

PGA Tour. Players, officials and television executives met last week in Harbour Town to brainstorm ways to punch up the on-air product, a productive meeting by all accounts.

All of which makes “Cut Line” wonder how much ill will and column inches could have been saved if the Tour had taken time, or taken the issue seriously, for a similar meeting before enacting the new groove policy this year.

“What if (Acushnet CEO Wally) Uihlein, (U.S. Golf Association senior technical director Dick) Rugge and (Ping CEO John) Solheim would have sat and talked with the (Player Advisory Council)? Imagine how much more productive that would have been,” said PAC member Steve Flesch.

Tweet of the Week: @PGA_JohnDaly: “Got a answer from Quail Hollow – that would be a no I won’t be playin there for those that been askin. No one givin me exemption spot.”

Just a thought, but “Cut Line” has always subscribed to the theory that golf was about earnin’, not being givin’.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.