Tiger Its Time

By Rex HoggardMarch 22, 2010, 12:51 am
For six minutes Sunday afternoon the actual and metaphorical storm clouds that have been fixated over the posh confines of Isleworth Country Club relented, allowing perhaps the most anticipated Q&A in the history of golf, if not the game itself, to move forward.

Breaking a silence that stretches back to a Nov. 27 car accident that ignited revelations of infidelity and a tabloid media frenzy, Tiger Woods answered questions from Golf Channel’s Kelly Tilghman just six days after the world No. 1 announced he will return to competitive golf at next month’s Masters.

The six-minute interview – the first time Woods has taken questions since crashing his SUV into a fire hydrant – featured 13 questions and, finally, some answers.

Watch continuous coverage of Tiger Woods' one-on-one interview with Golf Channel all week!

From his 45 days of therapy and his tarnished legacy to how Woods plans to explain his actions to his children, the interview covered a lot of ground, but none more telling than Woods’ answer when asked how he feels to have been transformed from the game’s greatest player to a “punch line?”

“It was hurtful, but then again I did it,” Woods said. “Looking back now with a more clear head I get it. I understand why people would say those things because, you know what, it was disgusting behavior. It’s hard to believe that was me, looking back on it now.”

Much like his earlier statements and his first public appearance since the crash last month at TPC Sawgrass, Woods maintained a rigid distinction between his public and private life, particularly when asked what happened between he and his wife, Elin, on Nov. 27?

“It’s all in the police report. There’s a lot of stuff between Elin and I that will remain private,” Woods said. “I wasn’t going very fast but unfortunately I hit a few things.”

There was, however, a greater sense of contrition, particularly for a man that doesn’t do humble.

Asked how a golfer who prides himself on control between the ropes was so easily led astray off the golf course.

“I don’t know. Now I know. It was part of my therapy and treatment. For 45 days you learn a lot, you strip away the denial, rationalization and you come to the truth and the truth is very painful at times,” Woods said. “To stare at yourself and look at the person you’ve become. You become disgusting.”

Woods also was asked how his father, Earl, who died in 2006, would have reacted to his actions?

“He’d be very disappointed in me. We’d have numerous long talks and that’s one of the things I miss,” Woods said. “I wish I could have had his guidance through all this, to have him help straighten me up. I know he would have done it.”

Instead Woods has a team that seems to finally be playing offense after months of defensive, and divisive, actions. Unlike his Dec. 2, 2009, press release, a five-paragraph missive that spent more time barking at the media (three paragraphs) than apologizing for his actions (two), Woods’ Q&A on Sunday had the look and feel of a man who has undergone 45-days of inpatient therapy and who is trying, in his words, “to become a better person.”

Although there has been no official confirmation from Camp Tiger, Sunday’s sit down had Ari Fleischer’s fingerprints all over it – a public mea culpa followed by an intense media blitz. If the former White House press secretary holds to script expect Woods to stand and deliver in front an even more relentless media audience in the coming weeks, perhaps even before he wheels down Magnolia Lane.

The questions will get harder, particularly over his connection with a Canadian doctor who is being investigated by authorities in the United States and Canada for prescribing performance-enhancing drugs.

Of course Woods can change the subject, not with his words but with his actions. Solid play next month at Augusta National will do more to help Woods’ tattered public image than an army of publicist ever could. And if there were a moment of true clarity during his six-minute sit down it came when Tilghman asked why he picked the Masters for his comeback?

“It’s time to get back and play,” Woods said, who also added he remains unsure of his schedule the remainder of the year. “I miss the game. I miss competing. I wanted to play (the Arnold Palmer Invitational) but I just wasn’t ready, but I’m starting to get my feel back. I know how to play (Augusta National). That helps a lot. I just have to play it.”

And maybe that was the most important message, at least for now. It’s time.

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.