Lets Play 18
1. If Tiger Woods was in a slump, then Halle Berrys ugly, Gregory Peck couldnt act, Jerry Seinfelds not funny and Saddams the leading candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.
2. Mike Weirs better than Phil Mickelson because thats what the world rankings now tell us.
3. Whens Sergio coming back?
4. Wouldnt it be nice to see Royal St. Georges play firm and fast, with all the quirky bounces that make a British Open a British Open?
5. Europes best is now Padraig Harrington, a plucky player but not a guy who will hearken back to the glory days of Seve, Faldo, Langer, Olazabal and Monty.
6. Darren Clarkes overdue to win something important.
7. Ian Woosnams recent rumble in a Welsh pub calls to mind one of the greatest tabloid headlines Ive ever seen, Boozie Woosie and the Floosie.
8. Heres another British tabloid gem from several years ago, If Monty Had Half a Brain Hed Have Won Six Majors By Now.
9. Another staple of the highly entertaining British tabs is the Page 3 girl, confirming that the Brits are sometimes as naughty as they are proper.
10. Id be surprised if Jonathon Byrd hasnt won a major by the time hes 30.
11. I used to say that about Phil Mickelson, and now Im not sure I can say with any conviction that Id be surprised if hasnt won a major by the time hes 40.
12. Im scheduled to cover the Solheim Cup in Sweden, but telling my wife that the competitions being held in Bulgaria.
13. Annika Sorenstam dominates womens golf as thoroughly as Tiger does the mens game, but Woods is the greater achiever because Annikas come up short in majors on too many occasions.
14. Annikas short game is not nearly as good as Tigers.
15. Annikas done more to elevate the status of the womens game than any player since Nancy Lopez.
16. Im all for lofty goals, but shouldnt Michelle Wie win a few womens tournaments before proclaiming a desire to play on the mens tour someday?
17. My five year old cant break 100 so Ive told him to take up tennis because he obviously has no future in golf.
18. Hilary Lunke and Angela Stanford delivered one of the greatest displays of clutch putting Ive ever seen.
Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son
Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.