Nallen Goes Deep Again at Gila River

By Sports NetworkOctober 8, 2004, 4:00 pm
04 Gila River Golf ClassicCHANDLER, Ariz. -- Chris Nallen posted a 6-under 66 on Friday to extend his lead after the second round of the Gila River Golf Classic. Nallen's 36-hole total left him at 18-under-par 126, five strokes clear of Scott Petersen.
 
'I'm not surprised at it. I know I can go low and play with the best of them,' said Nallen. 'I'm not looking to finish second. I don't see the point of teeing it up if you're not looking to win.'
 
Ricky Barnes, the 2002 U.S. Amateur champion, carded a 68 to move into a tie for third at 12-under-par 132 along with Kevin Stadler, Brett Wetterich, Jeff Freeman and Scott Gutschewski.
 
Nallen, who made his Nationwide Tour debut with a remarkable 60 on Thursday, kept attacking Whirlwind Golf Club's Cattail Course in the second round. He birdied each of his first two holes but stumbled to a bogey at the par-4 fourth, his first dropped shot of the tournament.
 
The 22-year-old responded with a birdie at the very next hole but he gave that shot back with a bogey at the sixth. Nallen quickly shook off that mistake and birdied his next three holes to make the turn at 16 under.
 
Nallen added a birdie at the 12th but faltered again with a bogey at the following hole. The University of Arizona product parred his next three holes until an eagle at the par-5 17th guaranteed him a comfortable advantage heading into the weekend.
 
'It's a different stage and a different level,' he said. 'I know I can play with these guys. I'm just trying to worry about what I have to do out there.'
 
Petersen started at the 10th and scorched the back nine with five birdies. He continued his fine play on the front side with back-to-back birdies from the first before finding trouble with a bogey at the fourth.
 
The 34-year-old, who won the 2000 Inland Empire Open, countered with a birdie at the par-5 seventh for a round of 65.
 
'I kind of figured it would be a shoot-out week, which doesn't bode well for me,' said Petersen. 'So far, so good. I don't do as well anytime it's a putting contest where you have to shoot 20 to 25 under.'
 
Bobby Gage and Kenneth Staton posted matching rounds of 66 to share eighth place at 11-under-par 133.
 
Brent Schwarzrock, who shot a 62 on Thursday, managed only a 72 in round two. Schwarzrock was joined by Brad Ott, Jeff Gove, Chris Anderson, Nick Watney, Steve Holmes, Matthew Jones, Barry Cheesman and Ben Bates at 10-under-par 134.
 
The 36-hole cut fell at 5-under-par 139 with 69 players qualifying for the weekend.
 
Related Links:
  • TGC Airtimes
  • Leaderboard - Gila River Golf Classic
  • Full Coverage - Gila River Golf Classic
  • Getty Images

    Sharma closes on Monday, wins Joburg Open

    By Associated PressDecember 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

    JOHANNESBURG – Shubhankar Sharma won his first European Tour title by a shooting 3-under 69 Monday in the final round of the weather-delayed Joburg Open.

    The 21-year-old Indian resumed his round on the eighth green after play was halted early Sunday afternoon because of storms. He parred that hole, birdied No. 9 and made par on every hole on the back nine.


    Full-field scores from the Joburg Open


    Sharma finished at 23-under 264, three strokes ahead of the pack, and qualified for next year's British Open, too.

    ''I actually wasn't going to come here about a week ago ... so I'm really happy that I came,'' said Sharma, who shot 61 in the second round. ''I don't think I'm ever going forget my first time in South Africa.''

    Erik van Rooyen (66) was second, three strokes ahead of Shaun Norris (65) and Tapio Pulkkanen (68).

    Getty Images

    Newsmakers of the Year: Top 10 in 2017

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 11, 2017, 12:30 pm
    Getty Images

    Sharma among three Open qualifiers at Joburg Open

    By Will GrayDecember 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

    Shubhankar Sharma earned his first career European Tour win at the rain-delayed Joburg Open and punched his ticket to The Open in the process.

    Sharma returned to Randpark Golf Club Monday morning after storms washed out much of the scheduled final day of play. Beginning the re-start with a four-shot lead, he hung on to win by three over South Africa's Erik Van Rooyen.

    Both men can make travel plans for Carnoustie next summer, as this was the second event in the Open Qualifying Series with three spots available for players not otherwise exempt who finished inside the top 10. The final spot went to Shaun Norris, who tied for third with Finland's Tapio Pulkkanen but had a higher world ranking (No. 192) than Pulkkanen (No. 197) entering the week.

    The Joburg Open was the final official European Tour event of the year. The next tournament in the Open Qualifying Series will be the SMBC Singapore Open in January, where four spots at Carnoustie will be up for grabs.

    Rules changes include no more viewer call-ins

    By Rex HoggardDecember 11, 2017, 12:00 pm

    Although the Rules of Golf modernization is still a year away, officials continue to refine parts of the rulebook including an overhaul of the video review protocols.

    A “working group” led by the USGA and R&A announced on Monday the new protocols, which include assigning a rule official to a tournament broadcast to resolve rules issues.

    The group – which includes the PGA Tour, European Tour, LPGA tour and PGA of America – also voted to stop considering viewer call-ins when processing potential rule violations.

    In addition, a new local rule was announced that will discontinue the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard when the player was unaware of the violation.

    In April, Lexi Thompson was penalized four strokes during the final round when officials at the ANA Inspiration learned via e-mail from a viewer of an infraction that occurred during the third round. Thompson was penalized two strokes for incorrectly marking her golf ball and two for signing an incorrect scorecard.

    “The message is, as a fan, enjoy watching the game and the best players in the world, but also have the confidence that the committee in charge of the competition have the rules handled,” Thomas Pagel, the USGA’s senior director of the Rules of Golf, said on Golf Channel’s "Morning Drive" on Monday. “Let’s leave the rules and the administration of the event to the players and to those responsible for running the tournament.”

    The working group was created in April to review the use of video in applying the rules and the role of viewer call-ins, and initially issued a decision to limit the use of video through the introduction of the “reasonable judgment” and “naked eye” standard.

    According to that decision, which was not a rule, “so long as the player does what can reasonably be expected under the circumstances to make an accurate determination, the player’s reasonable judgment will be accepted, even if later shown to be inaccurate by the use of video evidence.”

    The new protocols will be implemented starting on Jan. 1.

    A comprehensive overhaul of the Rules of Golf is currently underway by the USGA and R&A that will begin on Jan. 1, 2019.