Palmer Wins Funai with 62

By Sports NetworkOctober 24, 2004, 4:00 pm
04 Funai Classic @ Disney WorldLAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Ryan Palmer had two hot stretches of golf Sunday and they carried him to a three-stroke win at the Funai Classic at Walt Disney World Resort.
 
Palmer closed with a 10-under 62 to finish the event at 22-under-par 266 for his first PGA Tour title.
 
'It's just unbelievable. What a week, what a day,' said Palmer, who picked up $756,000 for the win. 'To play the way I did today and come out on top, what a feeling. I've never shot 62 in the final round. Never in my career had I shot it. Its just the second time in my career I had 10 birdies.'
 
World No. 1 Vijay Singh, who won this event last year, closed with a 5-under 67 to finish at 19-under-par 269. He shared second place with third-round co-leader Briny Baird, who posted a final-round 70.
 
Cameron Beckman and Joey Sindelar were one stroke further back at minus-18. Tom Lehman, who shared the third-round lead with Baird, closed with an even-par 72 to end at 17-under-par 271.
 
Palmer, a tour rookie, opened with a birdie at the first and came right back with a birdie on two. After a par at three, Palmer birdied No. 4 on the Magnolia Course to move to minus-15.
 
The Texas A & M alum sank a birdie putt on five to keep his roll going. Palmer made it three straight, and birdies on five of the first six holes, as he sank his birdie putt on six.
 
With that last birdie, Palmer tied Baird and Lehman for the lead. Palmer cruised around the turn with five straight pars before turning it on again.
 
Palmer stuck his second shot within 2 feet of the cup for birdie at the 12th. That birdie again tied him for the lead at minus-18. He quickly jumped two shots clear of the field with birdies at the 14th and 15th.
 
Palmer, who won on the Nationwide Tour in 2003, made it three straight as he dropped his second shot within a foot of the cup on No. 16. The 28-year-old kicked in that birdie and made it four straight as he drained a 50-foot birdie putt on 17.
 
Palmer left a birdie putt just short of the cup at the last, but he tapped in for par. Then it was off to the clubhouse to watch the final eight groups come in. No one was able to catch him and it was off to the winner's circle for Palmer.
 
'My caddie and I figured 20 under was a good number to get to and that was my main goal,' Palmer said. 'I've been hitting the ball good all week. I finally got some putts to go in. Winning last year was a lot of confidence for me coming into this year. I played in Australia over the winter and had some good success over there. I had the confidence and the game, it was just a matter of proving it to myself.'
 
Singh, who battled his swing on Friday, worked out the kinks on the range after that round. He closed with rounds of 65-67 to move into second place.
 
The Fijian moved into red figures Sunday with birdies at four and five. However, Singh tripped to a bogey at the sixth. He fought right back to birdie the next to get to 16 under.
 
Singh ran off four birdies in a five-hole stretch from the 10th to jump to 20 under. He was within two strokes of Palmer, but could not get any closer.
 
Singh fought a balky putter down the stretch. That included a three-putt bogey on the 16th, but he parred his final two holes to share second.
 
'I made a few mistakes early with a bogey at six and a bad drive at eight,' said Singh. 'I thought I played well though. I tried to make that putt on the last and dragged it left a little. I'm looking forward to next week because my game is coming back.'
 
Baird opened with six straight pars before a birdie at seven. He moved to 19 under with a birdie at the 11th. Baird got within two of Palmer with a birdie at 14. Like Singh, Baird bogeyed 16 and parred the final two holes to finish three off the pace.
 
Lehman was joined in a tie for sixth at minus-17 by Mark Hensby (68), Mark Calcavecchia (69) and Tim Clark (69). Lucas Glover, John Huston, Neal Lancaster, Geoff Ogilvy, Carl Pettersson and Vaughn Taylor ended one stroke further back at 16-under-par 272.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard - Funai Classic
  • Full Coverage - Funai Classic
  • Getty Images

    Cabreras win PNC Father/Son Challenge

    By Associated PressDecember 17, 2017, 11:36 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. closed with a 12-under 60 for a three-shot victory in their debut at the PNC Father/Son Challenge.

    The Cabreras opened with a 59 at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club and were challenged briefly by the defending champions, David Duval and Nick Karavites, in the scramble format Sunday. The Argentines went out in 30, and they had a two-shot lead with Cabrera's son came within an inch of chipping in for eagle on the final hole.

    They finished at 25-under 199 for a three-shot victory over Duval and Karavites, and Bernhard Langer and Jason Langer. The Langer team won in 2014.

    Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara tied for fourth at 21 under with Jerry Pate and Wesley Pate.

    Cabrera wasn't even in the field until two-time U.S. Open champion Curtis Strange and his son, Tom Strange, had to withdraw.

    Duval and his stepson went out in 28, but the Cabreras regained control by starting the back nine with back-to-back birdies, and then making birdies on the 13th, 14th and 16th. The final birdie allowed them to tie the tournament scoring record.

    ''This is certain my best week of the year,'' said Cabrera, the 2009 Masters champion and 2007 U.S. Open champion at Oakmont. ''To play alongside all the legends ... as well as playing alongside my son, has been the greatest week of the year.''

    The popular event is for players who have won a major championship or The Players Championship. It is a scramble format both days.

    In some cases, the major champions lean on the power of their sons for the distance. O'Meara said Saturday that his ''little man'' hit it 58 yards by him on the 18th. And on Sunday, Stewart Cink said son Reagan told him after outdriving him on the opening four holes, ''In this tournament I may be your son, but right now I'm your Daddy!''

    Jack Nicklaus played with his grandson, G.T. They closed with a 64 and tied for 15th in the field of 20 teams.

    Rose wins; Aphibarnrat earns Masters bid in Indonesia

    By Will GrayDecember 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

    Justin Rose continued his recent run of dominance in Indonesia, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat snagged a Masters invite with some 72nd-hole dramatics.

    Rose cruised to an eight-shot victory at the Indonesian Masters, carding bookend rounds of 10-under 62 that featured a brief run at a 59 during the final round. The Englishman was the highest-ranked player in the field and he led wire-to-wire, with Thailand's Phachara Khongwatmai finishing second.

    Rose closes out the year as perhaps the hottest player in the world, with top-10 finishes in each of his final 10 worldwide starts. That stretch includes three victories, as Rose also won the WGC-HSBC Champions and Turkish Airlines Open. He hasn't finished outside the top 10 in a tournament since missing the cut at the PGA Championship.

    Meanwhile, it took until the final hole of the final tournament of 2017 for Aphibarnrat to secure a return to the Masters. The Thai entered the week ranked No. 56 in the world, with the top 50 in the year-end world rankings earning invites to Augusta National. Needing an eagle on the 72nd hole, Aphibarnrat got just that to snag solo fifth place.

    It means that he is projected to end the year ranked No. 49, while Japan's Yusaku Miyazato - who started the week ranked No. 58 and finished alone in fourth - is projected to finish No. 50. Aphibarnrat finished T-15 in his Masters debut in 2016, while Miyazato will make his first appearance in the spring.

    The results in Indonesia mean that American Peter Uihlein and South Africa's Dylan Frittelli are projected to barely miss the year-end, top-50 cutoff. Their options for Masters qualification will include winning a full-point PGA Tour event in early 2018 or cracking the top 50 by the final March 25 cutoff.

    Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.