Points goes from over par to share of lead

By Sports NetworkOctober 25, 2008, 4:00 pm
2008 Miccosukee Championship MIAMI ' With players using preferred lies, D.A. Points fired a 9-under 62 Saturday to gain a share of the lead after three rounds of the Miccosukee Championship.
 
The 62 would have matched the course record if not for the preferred lies rules in play.
 
Points shares the lead at 8-under-par 205 with Matt Bettencourt, who posted a 5-under 66 in round three.
 
Gavin Coles (68) and Josh Broadaway (69) are tied for third place at minus-7 with second-round co-leader Marc Leishman (70).
 
Points, who started the day tied for 43rd, played the back nine first. He opened with a birdie on the 10th, then caught fire at the 12th.
 
He drained a birdie effort on 12 and came right back to birdie No. 13. Points kept rolling with birdies on 14 and 15 at Miccosukee Golf & Country Club.
 
Points, who is 40th on the money list, made it five straight as he birdied the par-5 16th from 22 feet out. However, he gave that shot right back with a bogey on 17. Around the turn, he birdied the second to get back to minus-5.
 
The three-time winner on the Nationwide Tour made eagle on the par-5 fifth from about 35 feet. Points rolled in a 4-foot birdie putt on the ninth, his last, to finish at 8 under.
 
'I tried really hard to stay as laid back as possible and it translated into making some putts,' said Points. 'I knew if I could get it under par for the week, anything can happen. To make some putts the last couple of days has been really exciting.'
 
Bettencourt posted birdies on the fifth and seventh to get to minus-5. After tripping to a bogey on nine, he connected on back-to-back birdie efforts from the 10th.
 
The 33-year-old, who won the Oregon Classic earlier this year, birdied the par-5 16th and made it two in a row with an 18-foot birdie putt on 17. He parred the last to share the third-round lead.
 
'I've been putting really well and that makes up for a lot of mistakes,' said Bettencourt, who stands 22nd on the money list. 'I'll stay focused tomorrow, try to put together a good round and whatever happens, happens. Hopefully, it's good enough to get a victory, but if not I'd like to finish in the top 5. That would secure my spot for next year.'
 
Daniel Summerhays carded a 4-under 67 to move into a share of sixth at 6-under 207. He was joined there by Scott Gardiner (68) and Bryce Molder (69).
 
Chris Smith and Reid Edstrom are one stroke back at minus-5.
 
Ricky Barnes, who shared the second-round lead with Leishman, faltered to a 3-over 74. That dropped him into a tie for 15th at minus-3.
 
There was a 25-minute weather delay, but the round completed before further storms hit the course.
 
Related Links:
  • Full Coverage ' Miccosukee Championship
  • Golf Channel Airtimes
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.