Stadler Irwin Chasing Eaks in NC

By Sports NetworkOctober 1, 2005, 4:00 pm
2005 SAS ChampionshipCARY, N.C. -- R.W. Eaks fired a 6-under 66 on Saturday to grab a one-stroke lead after two rounds of the SAS Championship at Prestonwood Country Club. Eaks completed 36 holes at 11-under-par 133.
 
Bob Gilder, who won the Constellation Energy Classic two weeks ago, matched Eaks' 66 to move into second place at 10-under-par 134.
 
Allianz Championship winner Tom Jenkins posted the lowest round of the day as he carded 7-under 65. He is alone in third at minus-9, while Rodger Davis is at 8-under-par 136 after a 66.
 
Eaks opened his round with five straight pars before catching fire. He dropped in a 10-foot birdie putt on the par-4 sixth. Eaks, who owns three wins on the Nationwide Tour, made it two in a row as he birdied the seventh.
 
The 53-year-old moved to 8 under as his short birdie try on the ninth found the bottom of the cup. Eaks stumbled to his only bogey on the 10th, but bounced right back with a birdie on the par-3 11th.
 
Eaks, whose best Champions Tour finish was a tie for sixth earlier this year at the Commerce Bank Championship, moved to minus-9 with a birdie on the par-4 13th. He closed with an 11-foot birdie putt on 15 and a 6-footer for birdie at the 17th to lead by one.
 
'That was a great pairing for me,' said Eaks of playing with Gilder and Bruce Summerhays. 'They just dragged me along. I had some chances early, but just wasn't making any putts. All in all, I am happy with my game and excited for tomorrow.'
 
Gilder drained a birdie on the second, but slipped to a three-putt bogey at the next. The 54-year-old came back with a birdie on the par-4 fourth. He moved to minus-6 with a birdie from 10 feet out on the sixth.
 
The eight-time winner on the Champions Tour holed a 7-iron from 164 yards out for eagle on the par-4 10th.
 
Gilder got to 9 under with a birdie on the par-4 13th. He bogeyed the next after finding water, but converted back-to-back birdies from the 16th to get to 10 under. He closed with a pair of pars to take second place.
 
'I'm making birdies which is good. I feel aggressive and my irons feel good in my hands,' Gilder said. 'I'm kind of a streaky player and I like the streak I am on now.'
 
Craig Stadler, the defending champion, carded a 6-under 66 to move into a share of fifth place at 7-under-par 137. He was joined there by first- round leader Summerhays (71), Gary McCord (67), Hale Irwin (68) and Danny Edwards (68).
 
Former U.S. Open champion Scott Simpson, who is making his Champions Tour debut this week, posted an even-par 72. He dropped into a share of 14th at minus-4.
 
Related links:
  • TGC Airtimes

  • Leaderboard - SAS Championship

  • Full Coverage - SAS Championship
  • Getty Images

    Perez skips Torrey, 'upset' with Ryder Cup standings

    By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 2:19 am

    Pat Perez is unhappy about his standing on the U.S. Ryder Cup points list, and his situation won't improve this week.

    Perez won the CIMB Classic during the fall portion of this season, and he followed that with a T-5 finish at the inaugural CJ Cup. But he didn't receive any Ryder Cup points for either result because of a rule enacted by the American task force prior to the 2014 Ryder Cup which only awards points during the calendar year of the biennial matches as well as select events like majors and WGCs during the prior year.

    As a result, Perez is currently 17th in the American points race - behind players like Patrick Reed, Zach Johnson, Bill Haas and James Hahn, none of whom have won a tournament since the 2016 Ryder Cup - as he looks to make a U.S. squad for the first time at age 42.

    "That kind of upset me a little bit, the fact that I'm (17) on the list, but I should probably be (No.) 3 or 4," Perez told Golf Digest. "So it kind of put a bitter taste in my mouth. The fact that you win on the PGA Tour and you beat some good players, yet you don't get any points because of what our committee has decided to do."

    Perez won't be earning any points this week because he has opted to tee it up at the European Tour's Omega Dubai Desert Classic. The decision comes after Perez finished T-21 last week at the Singapore Open, and it means that the veteran is missing the Farmers Insurance Open in his former hometown of San Diego for the first time since 2001.

    Perez went to high school a few minutes from Torrey Pines, and he defeated a field that included Tiger Woods to win the junior world title on the South Course in 1993. His father, Tony, has been a longtime starter on the tournament's opening hole, and Perez was a runner-up in 2014 and tied for fourth last year.

    Getty Images

    Woods favored to miss Farmers Insurance Open cut

    By Will GrayJanuary 24, 2018, 1:54 am

    If the Las Vegas bookmakers are to be believed, folks in the San Diego area hoping to see Tiger Woods this week might want to head to Torrey Pines early.

    Woods is making his first competitive start of the year this week at the Farmers Insurance Open, and it will be his first official start on the PGA Tour since last year's event. He missed nearly all of 2017 because of a back injury before returning with a T-9 finish last month at the Hero World Challenge.

    But the South Course at Torrey Pines is a far different test than Albany, and the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook lists Woods as a -180 favorite to miss the 36-hole cut. It means bettors must wager $180 to win $100, while his +150 odds to make the cut mean a bettor can win $150 with a $100 wager.

    Woods is listed at 25/1 to win. He won the tournament for the seventh time in 2013, but in three appearances since he has missed the 36-hole cut, missed the 54-hole cut and withdrawn after 12 holes.

    Here's a look at the various Woods-related prop bets available at the Westgate:

    Will Woods make the 36-hole cut? Yes +150, No -180

    Lowest single-round score (both courses par 72): Over/Under 70

    Highest single-round score: Over/Under 74.5

    Will Woods finish inside the top 10? Yes +350, No -450

    Will Woods finish inside the top 20? Yes +170, No -200

    Will Woods withdraw during the tournament? Yes +650, No -1000

    Getty Images

    Monahan buoyed by Tour's sponsor agreements

    By Rex HoggardJanuary 24, 2018, 12:27 am

    SAN DIEGO – Farmers Insurance announced on Tuesday at Torrey Pines a seven-year extension of the company’s sponsorship of the Southern California PGA Tour event. This comes on the heels of Sony extending its sponsorship of the year’s first full-field event in Hawaii through 2022.

    Although these might seem to be relatively predictable moves, considering the drastic makeover of the Tour schedule that will begin with the 2018-19 season, it is a telling sign of the confidence corporations have in professional golf.

    “It’s a compliment to our players and the value that the sponsors are achieving,” Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.

    Monahan said that before 2014 there were no 10-year title sponsorship agreements in place. Now there are seven events sponsored for 10-years, and another five tournaments that have agreements in place of at least seven years.

    “What it means is, it gives organizations like the Century Club [which hosts this week’s Farmers Insurance Open], when you have that level of stability on a long-term basis that allows you to invest in your product, to grow interest and to grow the impact of it,” Monahan said. “You experienced what this was like in 2010 or seen other tournaments that you don’t know what the future is.S o to go out and sell and inspire a community and you can’t state that we have a long-term agreement it’s more difficult.”

    Events like this year’s Houston Open, Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, and The National all currently don’t have title sponsors – although officials at Colonial are confident they can piece together a sponsorship package. But even that is encouraging to Monahan considering the uncertainty surrounding next season’s schedule, which will include the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players to March as well as a pre-Labor Day finish to the season.

    “When you look back historically to any given year [the number of events needing sponsors] is lower than the typical average,” Monahan said. “As we start looking to a new schedule next year, you get excited about a great schedule with a great group of partners.”

    Getty Images

    Day WDs from Farmers pro-am because of sore back

    By Golf Channel DigitalJanuary 24, 2018, 12:07 am

    SAN DIEGO – Jason Day has withdrawn from the Wednesday pro-am at the Farmers Insurance Open, citing a sore back.

    Day, the 2015 champion, played a practice round with Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau on Tuesday at Torrey Pines, and he is still expected to play in the tournament.

    Day was replaced in the pro-am by Whee Kim. 

    Making his first start since the Australian Open in November, Day is scheduled to tee off at 1:30 p.m. ET Thursday alongside Jon Rahm and Brandt Snedeker.