Stenson Goes Wire-to-Wire at The Belfry

By Sports NetworkMay 13, 2001, 4:00 pm
Sweden's Henrik Stenson posted a 2-under 70 on Sunday to capture the International Open by three strokes. Stenson's 13-under 275 gave the Swede his first ever victory on the European Tour.
 
Angel Cabrera (69) and Paul McGinley (70) shared second at 10-under par while Olle Karlsson (73) finished a distant fourth at minus-seven.
 
Stenson led by three with one round to go and played steady golf with four opening pars. He birdied five before he gave a shot back at seven, a hole he bogeyed twice this week.
 
The 25-year-old gave the pack a chance to come back with a double-bogey at the ninth after his second shot landed in an difficult lie in a greenside bunker.
 
Stenson rebounded with an impossible shot at the par-4 10th. He hit a 3-wood from the tee over the water in front of the green and landed in a bank to the right of the putting surface. Stenson decided to hit a high flop shot, then watched as the ball hit the stick and fell in for an eagle-two.
 
He added a birdie at No. 11 but the tournament was far from over, as Cabrera birdied Nos. 15 and 16 ahead of Stenson. When the leader bogeyed the par-5 15th after he hit into a greenside bunker, the lead was down to two.
 
Stenson came back with a 15-foot birdie at No. 16 to extend the lead to three, which would prove to be the winning margin.
 
'Im delighted to have won and it is really special to do it in such a big tournament as this,' said Stenson, who moved into the top-10 on the Order of Merit with the victory. 'I havent really given it much thought really, it will take a while to sink in, but I got the job done today and this is definitely the biggest win of my career - it will have a huge impact for me.'
 
Stenson won the 2000 Order of Merit on the European Challenge Tour, where he won three times. In all three victories last year, Stenson held the overnight lead heading into the final round and left with the trophy. This year in a transition to the European Tour, Stenson's previous best finish was a tie for 27th at the Portuguese Open.
 
'I had a really good year last year and was hoping to carry it on and get off to a good start on the main Tour but it didnt happen,' said Stenson. 'So a little while back I sat down and took a look at my game and decided I had to work hard to move onto the next level. I did that, worked really hard over the last couple of weeks, and now I feel like Ive really got it together.'
 
Cabrera made four birdies over his last 10 holes for a 3-under 69. The winner of the 2001 Argentina Open has now finished in the top-10 in five out six starts in the 2001 campaign.
 
McGinley, a co-leader with Stenson after the opening round, birdied the last two holes to earn his first top-five finish this season.
 
'Obviously Im disappointed not to win because I went out to win,' said McGinley. 'But to do that I had to make putts and I didnt do that so it wasnt meant to be.'
 
Desvonde Botes took fifth at 6-under par and Richard Green finished at minus-five for a solo sixth.
 
Raphael Jacquelin, Retief Goosen, David Howell, Eduardo Romero and Thomas Bjorn shared seventh at 4-under 284.
 
Colin Montgomerie finished tied for 12th at 3-under. Defending champion Jose Maria Olazabal, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Darren Clarke were part of a group at 1-under.
 
Full-field scores from the Benson and Hedges International Open
 

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.