Wiebe Simpson even at Boeing Classic

By Sports NetworkAugust 22, 2008, 4:00 pm
Boeing ClassicSNOQUALMIE, Wash. ' Mark Wiebes round might be remembered more for a shot he avoided than one he made.
 
Wiebe birdied four of his first five holes, then added two more on the back nine to shoot 67 on Friday. That gave him a share of the first-round lead at the Boeing Classic.
 
Wiebe was bogey-free until the par-5 18th when his third shot carried over the green and into the rough. Wiebe was unable to get up-and-down for par, and he dropped into a tie with Scott Simpson.
 
I like my game. I like the way Im playing, Wiebe said. With a couple of exceptions today, for not knowing the golf course, I felt I did pretty well maneuvering my ball around. And to maneuver your ball around a golf course you dont know you have to have control. I felt like I did that pretty well.
 
While Wiebe was pleased with his round ' the exception being a 70-yard wedge that carried too far on 18 and led to his only bogey ' he was still noticeably irked well after his round about the 14th hole.
 
While Wiebe was lining up his putt on the drivable, dogleg par-4, Sandy Lyles tee shot was pulled left across a deep, tree-filled ravine and toward the hole. The distance from tee to green was only 295 yards on Friday and Lyles drive landed about 15-feet from Wiebe, somehow avoiding the three players and three caddies on the small green.
 
I have nothing to say about that. Sorry, Wiebe said.
 
Wiebe is in his first full season on the Champions Tour and holds the distinction as one of 12 players in Tour history to win in his first start. Wiebe played on the Nationwide Tour at the beginning of last year to get prepared for joining the 50-plus circuit, then won the SAS Championship last September for his first victory in 21 years. He added a win at the Cap Cana Championship in April and has finished in the top 20 in four of six starts.
 
Wiebe birdied Nos. 1, 2, 4 and 5, then dropped a 40-foot putt on No. 13 and made a short birdie on the 15th.
 
The course was there for the taking, Wiebe said. I played well most of the day.
 
Finding Simpson at the top of the leaderboard here is no surprise. Two years ago, Simpson shot a course-record 61 in the second round and was in contention headed to the back nine on Sunday before falling one shot short of a playoff that Tom Kite eventually won.
 
Simpson was flawless Friday, staying out of trouble and giving himself plenty of opportunities to make birdie. He dropped five putts and was bogey free. Shooting 5 under might be the best score possible as rain earlier in the week made the course soggy, taking away most of the roll from the fairways.
 
That left most players hitting long irons into the greens on the 7,183-yard layout.
 
Itd be pretty tough I think, but if you are playing well 64, 65 seems possible, Simpson said.
 
Simpson hasnt won since 2006 when he was victorious at Pebble Beach the week after missing out on that playoff.
 
A trio of golfers finished at 4 under ' Gary Hallberg, David Edwards and Bob Gilder ' and another six golfers were only two shots off the lead, including Kite and Hale Irwin. Kite was rolling at one point with five birdies in seven holes, but he bogeyed the 18th, his ninth hole of the day, and added two more bogeys on his back nine.
 
I kept looking at the mountains over there and it kept me really relaxed, said Hallberg, who broke in a new caddie by shooting 33 on the back nine.
 
The hottest golfer entering the tournament was Fred Funk, who won the JELD-WEN Tradition last week and finished second at the U.S. Senior Open. Funk bogeyed four consecutive holes on the front nine and scrambled to a 4-over 76.
 
Scott Hoch withdrew after his 10th hole when a lingering wrist injury flared up. Hoch was 1-under at the time.
 
Related Links:
  • Leaderboard
  • Full Coverage
  • GOLF CHANNEL Airtimes
  • Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

    ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

    Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

    ''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

    They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

    ''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

    Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

    ''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

    Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

    Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

    Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

    Getty Images

    Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

    Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

    Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

    Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

    Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

    The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

    Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

    By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

    JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

    Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

    Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

    Getty Images

    Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

    By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

    Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

    The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.