Stefani keeps his card - barely

By Will GrayAugust 21, 2016, 10:51 pm

GREENSBORO, N.C. – For 72 holes at the Wyndham Championship, Shawn Stefani managed to steel his nerves. He kept his cool and focused on his craft.

But shortly after hitting one final, pivotal putt, the tears started to flow.

“It’s pretty emotional, actually,” said Stefani, his lip quivering as he dabbed his face with the towel draped around his neck. “Started to get a little emotional on 18. Sorry.”

Stefani had already hit 5,887 shots during the PGA Tour’s marathon regular season. But it was stroke No. 5,888 – a 6-foot birdie attempt on the 18th green at Sedgefield Country Club – that determined whether he would keep his card for next season and avoid a trip to the Web.com Tour Finals.

Such is life at the final event of the Tour’s regular season, one last pressure cooker for players to endure with status on the line and postseason bids up for grabs. But few have experienced the highs and the lows of those stakes quite like Stefani did during the final round.

Entering the week at No. 133 in the FedEx Cup points race, Stefani had played himself onto the fringe of contention and was projected to move to the coveted 125th spot based on the 54-hole standings. After curling in a 22-foot eagle on the 15th hole Sunday, Stefani was inside the number and appeared on the verge of accomplishing his goal.

But little about Stefani’s professional journey has been easy, and the final round at Sedgefield was no exception. A pulled drive on No. 17 led to a bogey, so he went to the final hole needing at least a par to make the playoffs and, more importantly, keep his card.


Wyndham Championship: Articles, photos and videos


With everything on the line and his playing privileges hanging in the balance, Stefani calmly delivered a 7-iron from 173 yards that rolled to close range. With his hands shaking, he stroked a putt that was center-cut – and carded a birdie that moved to No. 123 in points in the process.

“He was rock solid all day, man. He really was. I know he was nervous, but you don’t really see it in him,” said caddie Chris Callas. “Really the first time I saw him show any emotion or anything was right after he got done. All day long, we kind of did what we do every day. We tried not to change anything, and we played good. I can’t say enough about him.”

Looking back, Stefani admitted that his offseason wasn’t quite as productive as it could have been. He and his wife, Jaclyn, bought a new home in Texas, and his game received less attention as a result.

Stefani describes himself as a “glass half-full guy,” so he wasn’t worried even after a lackluster spring that included six missed cuts in seven starts. But as the summer months edged on, Stefani could feel the pressure beginning to mount.

“I kept telling myself, we still got events left, still have tournaments left,” he said. “But you know, when you say it in March and there’s 17 events left, and you look in July and there’s four events left, you’re like, ‘I don’t have a lot of time.’ But I really felt like I was close.”

Stefani was still 143rd in points entering the Travelers Championship earlier this month. But a putting tip from fellow pro Scott Brown led to a T-11 finish, and after his result at Sedgefield – just his fourth top-25 of the season – he can book a flight for The Barclays.

For Stefani, 34, it’s the culmination of months of hard work to get his game back on track and the latest chapter of a pro career that began 11 years ago after a stint at little-known Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas.

“I’m not an all-American story like a lot of these kids are, getting a lot of sponsor exemptions out of college,” Stefani said. “I wasn’t a great college player. I had to earn my way the hard way, mini-tours, 15-hour drives, driving across the country and, you know, it means more to me to keep my card than it does to some of the other guys who have won, because I’ve gone the hard road for the game.”

As Stefani spoke to a group of reporters, his caddie looked on with a weathered grin, having survived the Wyndham gauntlet and emerged on the right side of the bubble by the slimmest of margins.

“This week was a grind,” Callas said. “I bit some nails off this week, I promise you.”

One event, one round, one shot. Players often lean on clichés about focusing on the task at hand, choosing to keep their eyes from drifting toward larger goals.

But as Stefani can now attest, sometimes one shot can make all the difference.

“I’m very blessed to be where I’m at today, and I’ve worked hard. I feel like I deserve it,” he said. “The game doesn’t owe you anything, and I feel like the game gave me something today.”

Cabreras take 1-shot lead in Father/Son

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. - Two-time major champion Angel Cabrera and Angel Cabrera Jr. birdied their last three holes for a 13-under 59 to take a one-shot lead Saturday in the PNC Father-Son Challenge.

Cabrera, a Masters and U.S. Open champion, is making his debut in this popular 36-hole scramble. His son said he practiced hard for 10 days. What helped put him at ease was watching his father make so many putts.

''We combined very well,'' Cabrera said. ''When I hit a bad shot, he hit a good one. That's the key.''

They had a one-shot lead over Mark O'Meara and Shaun O'Meara, who are playing for the first time. That included a birdie on the last hole, which O'Meara attributed to the strength of his son.

''My little man hit it 58 yards by me on the 18th,'' said O'Meara, the Masters and British Open champion in 1998. ''It's a little easier coming in with a 6-iron.''

Defending champions David Duval and Nick Karavites rallied over the back nine at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club for a 61. They are trying to become the first father-son team to repeat as winners since Bernhard and Stefan Langer in 2006. Larry Nelson won two years in a row in 2007 and 2008, but with different sons.

''I'd imagine we have to break 60 tomorrow to have a chance to win, but hey, stranger things have happened,'' Duval said. ''I've even done it myself.''

Duval shot 59 at the Bob Hope Classic to win in 1999 on his way to reaching No. 1 in the world that year.

Duval and his stepson were tied with Bernhard Langer and 17-year-old Jason Langer, who made two eagles on the last five holes. This Langer tandem won in 2014.

Jack Nicklaus, playing with grandson G.T., opened with a 68.

Getty Images

Woods' 2018 schedule coming into focus ... or is it?

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 16, 2017, 5:46 pm

Two weeks after his successful return to competition at the Hero World Challenge, Tiger Woods’ 2018 schedule may be coming into focus.

Golfweek reported on Saturday that Woods hopes to play the Genesis Open in February according to an unidentified source with “direct knowledge of the situation.”

Woods’ agent Mark Steinberg declined to confirm the 14-time major champion would play the event and told GolfChannel.com that Woods – who underwent fusion surgery to his lower back in April – is still formulating his ’18 schedule.

Woods’ foundation is the host organization for the Genesis Open and the event supports the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Genesis Open would be Woods’ first start on the PGA Tour since he missed the cut last January at the Farmers Insurance Open.

Rose weathering delayed Indonesian Masters

By Associated PressDecember 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Justin Rose held a three-stroke lead after eight holes of the third round Saturday when play was suspended for the day due to bad weather at the Indonesian Masters.

Rose was 3-under on the day and led his playing partners Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Vincent. The Englishman led both players by a stroke after the second round was completed Saturday morning due to weather delays on Friday.

Brandt Snedeker withdrew with apparent heat exhaustion on Friday on the 11th hole of the second round. Ranked 51st in the world, he flew to Jakarta looking to move inside the top 50 by the end of the year and ensure a spot in next year's Masters.

Getty Images

Lexi (wrist) WDs from Diamond Resorts Invitational

By Golf Channel DigitalDecember 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Lexi Thompson on Friday withdrew from the Diamond Resorts Invitational, citing inflammation in her wrist. Thompson, who teamed with Tony Finau to finish tied for fourth place in last week's QBE Shootout, said she is under strict doctor's order not to hit golf balls until mid-January.

The Diamond Resorts Invitational is scheduled Jan. 12-14 at Tranquilo Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. The field for te 54-hole event includes LPGA and PGA Tour Champions players, as well as celebrities from the worlds or sports and entertainment.