Bayonet, which opened in 1954, is steeped in golf and military history. Created on the site of the former Fort Ord by General Robert B. McClure, it was christened in honor of the 7th Infantry Light Fighter Division (nicknamed the "Bayonet Division").
Always stimulating and in spectacular shape, and with Monterey Bay as its inspiring backdrop, the remodeled Bayonet is ready for the new era to begin.
Previously only enjoyed by military personnel stationed at Fort Ord, these magnificent courses have only recently been opened to the public, and many who would never have had the opportunity to play them finally have that chance.
Named after the Army's 7th Infantry Division - the first major unit to occupy Fort Ord, as well as the last. The famed Light Fighters (nicknamed the "Bayonet Division") marched for the last time during inactivation ceremonies in 1993 as part of the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC).
With over 7,094 yards of oak and cypress-lined fairways, Bayonet Golf Course was designed in 1954 by General Robert McClure, the Commanding Officer of the post at that time. Gen. McClure, a left-handed golfer with a severe slice, designed the course to fit his game. This is evidenced by holes #11-15, a series of sharp doglegs, widely known as "Combat Corner," interrupted only by a 215-yard uphill par 3. Notoriously known for its magnificently manicured, long, and narrow fairways, Bayonet is one tough, but rewarding 18-hole adventure. With four sets of tees, the course is a par 72, with a slope of 138 and a rating of 75.3.