Allen holds off Perry for Encompass Insurance victory
- By Associated Press
- Apr 15, 2012 5:00 PM ET
LUTZ, Fla. – Michael Allen won the Encompass Insurance Pro-Am on Sunday for his second Champions Tour title, closing with a 3-under 68 for a three-stroke victory over Kenny Perry.
Allen finished the three-day event at 12 under. He took a five-shot advantage into the final round, tying the tournament record for the largest 36-hole margin.
Allen bogeyed Nos. 3 and 4 at TPC Tampa Bay to cut his lead to one, but rebounded with birdies on two of the next three holes. He extended his advantage to four shots with birdies on 12 and 14.
Isao Aoki (1996) and Bruce Fleisher (2000) also took five-stroke leads into the final round of the tournament. Aoki wound up tied for eighth, while Fleisher won by four shots.
Perry eagled the par-4 first hole and par-5 12th during a round of 65. It was the fifth time in the event's history that a player had a pair of eagles in a round.
Allen also won the 2009 Senior PGA Championship. He had gone winless in 40 consecutive Champions Tour events since then.
The 63-year-old Fleisher, who lead after the first round, shot a 74 to finish at 4 over.
Peter Senior was third at 7 under after shooting a 67.
One of Perry's playing partners, Corey Pavin, also had an eagle on 12. Pavin shot 70 and ended up fourth at 5 under
Kirk Triplett had a 72 to tie for eighth at 2 under in his first start on the 50-and-over tour.
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play