Ballesteros Accused of Assault

RSS

European TourSOTOGRANDE, Spain -- The European Tour is investigating Seve Ballesteros, who is accused of assaulting another Spanish golfer off the course during an amateur tournament last month.
 
Ballesteros was a spectator at the over-35 event in Pedrena, where Ballesteros lives. The player, Jose Maria Zamora, is also a tournament director on the European Tour. Zamora said Wednesday he had reported the matter to European Tour officials but would not comment further.
 
Zamora was the tour official who penalized Ballesteros for slow play at last year's Italian Open. Ballesteros refused to adjust his card or accept the penalty and was subsequently fined by the tour. Ballesteros, a former three-time British Open champion, hasn't played on the tour this year because of injuries.
 
David Garland, the tour's director of operations, said he was investigating but declined further comment.
 
Ivan Ballesteros, a nephew and spokesman for Ballesteros' Amen Corner company, said Ballesteros was away and had nothing to say.
 
'It's something that happened between two people, and I don't think people should make a big deal of it,' Ivan Ballesteros said.
 
Related Links:
  • Scores - Volvo Masters
  • TGC Airtimes
  • Full Coverage - Volvo Masters
     
    Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.