Ballesteros, preparing to open play Thursday in the Madeira Island Open, said Garcia had declined to play on the European team, which Ballesteros is captaining. The Seve Trophy April 19-21 in Ireland features Britain and Ireland against a team of top Europeans.
The young Spaniard, who was helped early in his professional career by Ballesteros, was the second-most successful player in the inaugural Seve Trophy in 2000. He picked up 3.5 points out of 5 and helped the Continentals to a 21 1/2-20 1/2 victory.
Only England's Lee Westwood with 4 points bettered Garcia's total.
'Garcia is the only player so far who doesn't want to play,' Ballesteros said. 'I'm a bit disappointed. And even more disappointed that he asked for appearance money. Garcia told me he was committed to play the tournament in America the same week, but at the same time his manager asked for appearance money.'
'There is no appearance money for anyone at the Seve Trophy. I don't think it fair to ask. Not fair to the other members of the team or to the Irish Tourist Board.'
Ballesteros noted that Garcia won his first European Tour title at Druid's Glen, venue for the Seve Trophy. 'The people love him there. I don't feel they will be very happy about this.'
He also pointed out that losing team members receive 90,000 euros.
Garcia collected the Murphy's Irish Open trophy at Druid's Glen in June 1999.
Among top players qualified for the Seve Trophy, Germany's Bernhard Langer has yet to commit, but Jose Maria Olazabal will play.
'There's a man who's got two Masters and who has just won in the States but there has never been any doubt about him playing,' Ballesteros said of Olazabal.
'Olazabal is a great example of what you should do. He hasn't changed at all.'
Ballesteros, who turns 45 next month, is lining up here in his 400th European Tour tournament.
More Golf Headlines