“I obviously got off to a good start, played the front nine very well,” said Pavin, who birdied six holes on the front side. “I think I had 10 putts on the front nine … and I hit the ball well.”
Price, who won the Toshiba Classic in March, has struggled in the past two months. He said he finally noticed an unconscious change in his backswing that caused him to shorten his swing.
“This is, after literally six really poor tournaments, the thing that I worked the hardest on the last two years, I just neglected,” Price said. “It’s been very frustrating.
“But today was the best I’ve played since May, June, ball-striking-wise. All in all, it was an `A’ day for me, a really good day.”
Pavin said he also made a swing change this week after talking to (swing coach) Greg LaBelle, who made suggestions to Pavin after watching his swing via email.
“I worked on it the last couple of days, and I made some changes,” Pavin said. “I really felt a lot more comfortable on the golf course today than I have in a long time.
“I did some work on my putter as well, and that was better.”
Tom Lehman, who leads the race for the Charles Schwab Cup and its $1 million payday, was among a group tied at 3 under. Lehman is trying to become the first golfer to ever win Player of the Year honors on the Nationwide, PGA and Champions tours.
Play was delayed in the afternoon for 2 hours, 14 minutes when a thunderstorm moved through the area.
Fresh off his U.S. Open win, Justin Rose will play the first two rounds at TPC River Highlands alongside a pair of fellow major champions. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path