MIYAZAKI, Japan – Luke Donald shot a 6-under 65 to take a share of the lead after the first round of the Dunlop Phoenix on Thursday.
Donald offset a pair of bogeys with eight birdies at the Phoenix Country Club to finish tied with Australian Brendan Jones and Japan's Hideto Tanihara.
Donald won the PGA Tour and European Tour money titles last season. He is appearing in the Japan Tour event for the first time since 2007.
Japanese golfers Koichiro Kawano and Shunsuke Sonada were two strokes behind the leaders.
Japanese star Ryo Ishikawa, who won last weekend's Taiheiyo Masters for his first victory in two years, shot a 73 that had him tied for 48th.
Tags: Luke Donald
Luke Donald struggled to a 2-over 74, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat of Thailand shot a 7-under 65 on Thursday to take the clubhouse lead at the Maybank Malaysian Open before thunderstorms caused the susp... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: Wind howling at Nelson | LPGA Mobile
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile Bay; Nordqvist fires 61
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play