MIYAZAKI, Japan – Luke Donald shot a 6-under 65 to take a share of the lead after the first round of the Dunlop Phoenix on Thursday.
Donald offset a pair of bogeys with eight birdies at the Phoenix Country Club to finish tied with Australian Brendan Jones and Japan's Hideto Tanihara.
Donald won the PGA Tour and European Tour money titles last season. He is appearing in the Japan Tour event for the first time since 2007.
Japanese golfers Koichiro Kawano and Shunsuke Sonada were two strokes behind the leaders.
Japanese star Ryo Ishikawa, who won last weekend's Taiheiyo Masters for his first victory in two years, shot a 73 that had him tied for 48th.
Tags: Luke Donald
Luke Donald struggled to a 2-over 74, while Kiradech Aphibarnrat of Thailand shot a 7-under 65 on Thursday to take the clubhouse lead at the Maybank Malaysian Open before thunderstorms caused the susp... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly