Golfers in Dispute Over Hole-in-One Prize Money

RSS

SAN ANTONIO -- A golfer who made a hole-in-one last month at a charity golf tournament in Kerrville and won $50,000 is being sued by a teammate over how the money should be spent.
 
Brit Martin was recruited by Mike Neutze to play on a four-man team in a September tournament at Comanche Trace Golf Course. Neutze, who sponsored the team, picked Martin to try his swing at the hole-in-one competition.
 
Before the ball dropped in, the two hadn't discussed what would become of the prize.
 
Martin sank it and said he wants to use the money to jump-start his dream of becoming a pro golfer.
 
Neutze said in court filings he wants the team to split the prize with the Kerrville Professional Firefighters Association, the event's organizer. Neutze's lawyer said Neutze should decide who gets the money since as one of four major sponsors of the 9-11 Golf Tournament, his status made Martin eligible to take the shot.
 
A judge is keeping Martin from spending the check, which he hasn't yet received. A hearing is set for Friday.
 
Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.