Langer goes wire-to-wire at ACE Group Classic
- By Associated Press
- Feb 17, 2013 7:26 PM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – Bernhard Langer shot a final-round 72 and won his second ACE Group Classic title in three years by one stroke on Sunday.
Langer two-putted from 50 feet on the 18th for par to finish at 12-under 204, ahead of Jay Don Blake at TwinEagles Club's Talon Course.
Langer, who won this tournament in 2011 and was runner-up last year, survived three bogeys and a double bogey. It was his 17th victory on the Champions Tour, and the seventh year he has won at least one tournament.
Blake, who had four birdies on the front nine, took the lead briefly with a birdie on the par-5 13th to get to 12 under. But Langer also birdied the hole, and added another on No. 14 to take the lead again.
Blake missed a 3-footer for par on No. 16, and Langer bogeyed No. 15, keeping Langer a stroke ahead. Blake's 20-foot birdie putt on the 18th looked like it had a chance until the last few feet, when it turned and grazed the edge of the cup.
Langer's even-par round matched the highest final-round score for a winner at the ACE. Craig Stadler also shot a 72 in 2004. They also both survived double bogeys to win.
Tom Pernice, who was tied for the lead at one point, bogeyed No. 11, and then missed a short birdie putt at No. 12 and couldn't recover. Down two strokes, he went for the green on the par-5 17th in two, hooked a 3-wood into the water and made bogey.
Pernice tied for third with John Cook, who birdied Nos. 16 and 18 to finish off a 68, at 9-under 207.
David Frost and Rocco Mediate, a Calusa Pines Golf Club member, tied for fifth at 8-under.
James Walton’s tee shot at the par-3 17th stopped 4 ½ feet away from the hole on Wednesday to win the annual closet-to-the-pin caddie competition at TPC Sawgrass. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae