Golf's third major tournament of the year is scheduled to start as planned next Thursday at St. Andrews despite four explosions that tore through London during Thursday's morning rush hour.
'Normal security measures are in place and anything above that will be taken on the advice of the Fife Constabulary,' the Royal and Ancient Club said in a statement.
Hunter Mahan, the first-round leader at the John Deere Classic in Illinois who is still trying to qualify for the British Open, said Thursday's attacks in London wouldn't keep him from playing in the major. Though it might influence his travel plans.
'The tournament's in Scotland, so I'd probably have to go through there,' he said. 'I'd probably try to fly through Glasgow. That's a crazy thing that happened.'
Australian Mark Hensby already planned to fly through Glasgow and won't give a second thought to playing in the British Open.
'If it's going to happen, it's going to happen,' he said.
Four years ago, the Sept. 11 terror attacks in the United States forced the cancellation of the Ryder Cup, which had been scheduled to start in England just weeks later. The biennial tournament was instead played the next year.
Thursday's attacks left at least 37 people dead and hundreds wounded, but didn't deter most sports events in Britain from proceeding as usual.
However, an Olympic celebration was called off, as was horse racing at Epsom and functions by a few Premier League soccer teams.
The Scottish Open golf tournament at Loch Lomond in Luss continued without interruption and a one-day cricket match between England and Australia in Leeds started just hours after four explosions hit the capital.
'I'm sorry and empathetic for what happened,' golfer Phil Mickelson said.
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.