JOHOR BAHRU, Malaysia – Dutchman Joost Luiten shot a 6-under 65 on Sunday to win the Iskandar Johor Open by a stroke from overnight leader Daniel Chopra.
Luiten birdied the first three holes to move ahead of Chopra, although the Swede birdied three of the last six holes to make for a tight finish in the dual-sanctioned European Tour and Asian Tour event. It was Luiten’s first career win on the European Tour.
Luiten finished with a total of 15-under 198 in the tournament, which was shortened to three rounds after heavy rain washed out Saturday’s play at the Horizon Hills Golf and Country Club in southern Johor state.
“It’s always tough to get your first major victory,” said Luiten, who finished joint fifth at the Singapore Open last week. “I have been close to doing so on a few occasions and I am relieved I have done it.”
Defending champion Padraig Harrington of Ireland tied for third at 13-under along with Wales’ Rhys Davies and England’s James Morrison.
Chopra said he was disappointed with his poor form on the final day, when he could not find his touch until it was too late.
“I have learnt a lot from this tournament,” Chopra said. “Patience is always the key and although I had some fantastic rounds, today was just not right for me. But still finishing second has given me some encouragement.”
Golf Channel's coverage of the 2013 Web.com Tour season gets underway Thursday with live, four-round coverage of the BMW Charity Pro-Am Read More
Esteban Toledo celebrated Cinco de Mayo by becoming the first Mexican winner in Champions Tour history, beating Mike Goodes with a par on the third hole of a playoff on Sunday in the Insperity Champio... Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process