Manassero 1 back of French Open leader Nilsson
- By Associated Press
- Jul 5, 2012 2:29 PM ET
SAINT-QUENTIN-EN-YVELINES, France – Christian Nilsson of Sweden shot a 6-under 65 to lead by a stroke after the first round of the French Open on Thursday.
Nilsson made seven birdies and only one bogey on Le National.
The 263rd-ranked Nilsson has not finished in the top 30 this year. He won his only title on the European Tour at the Saint-Omer Open in 2009.
Many favorites struggled on a tough golf course where 11 holes are surrounded by water. Lee Westwood recovered from a poor start to shoot a 70.
The former top-ranked Englishman dropped four shots in his first six holes but finished with five birdies.
''I feel like I've got a couple of snails on my feet,'' Westwood said after standing in the lake to save par on his last hole.
Westwood found the water on the ninth and rolled up his trousers to steer the ball clear of the lake.
''After Thomas Levet jumping in there and breaking his leg last year, I wasn't sure what was in there,'' Westwood said. ''So I kept my shoes on. I was on the last hole and I had brought plenty of shoes on me ... I was more worried about the trousers than the shoes really.''
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process